hello,

the nikon photo secretary -the link of the F5 to the PC- is no more

available in most countries.

i can shortly obtain the mac version (MC-34 F5 / MAC) , however i do

need the windows version.

Question: is the software for win included with the mac package? and

is it possible to use the hardware intended for the mac on a windows

PC? What i can see from the decription in the offer is that the mac-

side of the included cable is the small round serial interface plug.

there are adapters to 9pin serial plugs for win-pcs and i probably

have some in some box sitting since a few years.

anyone ever tried this? any info would be very helpful.

thanks and cheers

walter

Walter<br>

I'm not sure about this.. but this is what I know...<Br>

MC-34 is only for Mac. MC-33 is the cable for windows. I don't know if you can put and adapter for MC-34 and make it work like MC-33. One more thing I know is that MC-31, which was designed for n90s WILL work fine with a 24 to 9 pin serial converter. That's what I'm using. MC-31 works fine with n90s, F100 and F5. I'm sre about this because I've been using MC-31 for F5 and used it with n90s and F100.<br>

<br>

One more piece of info<br>

It's not only in certain countries, but everywhere it's unawailable. Nikon stoped producing it. I've got the response from Nikon itself.

Good luck <br>

<a href="http://www.color-pictures.com" target="w-2">www.color-pictures.com</a>

Jemini, good to know that one win versions works F100, F90 and F5. It would be funny if it were not so expensive, but Nikon germany once told me i would need to buy both different products for the F90x and the F5. at that time the price was something like 200$ for each software/hardware combination. this !$§%§$% me so off that i ended up not buying any of the two versions. I am aware of the fact that the win and the mac version are supposed not to be interchangeable but i suspect that it may just be a a question of the difference in the serial interface. for this i most likely have a solution since it is only a slight difference between the two interfaces. the question here is if the win software might be included (like with some other software packages offered for both platforms) and if that would work in practice even though its not intended or documented as such.

Anybody there who bought the MAC version who could check if the win software is included?

cheers

walter

Yeah, you are right I also suspect that this is more of a support issue. The people in Support wouldn't know what's the difference. So they will tell you to buy both to avoid risk. I found somewhere the circuit diagram of this 24 pin and it was not nothing complicated. That's why I've decided to try this. Besides I talked to <a href="http://www.cocoon-creations.com/COCOON-Home.shtml" target="w-2"> cocoon-creations </a> and they said there's no reason why it won't work. Then somebody esle here said they've used it.. Anyway it's working. Above cocoon-creations make a software for 45 dollars it's working fine for me. I've paid 55 dollars for MC-31 and 45 for this software. If you want to save some money in the software please try this... Good luck