Interesting Tidbits from PopPhoto

conrad

The latest Pop Photo has a report from Japan on the photo business

there. I thought this might be on interest:<br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?article_id=766&section_id=5&page_number=12">Will

24x36 digital sensors replace medium format?</a><br>

<br>

I know in America DSLR's are taking over the wedding photography

business and a lot of other pro work that was previously medium format

territiory. And for good reason. However, by the above article it

appears that medium format is still the choice of pros in Japan. Also

of interest is Mamiya and Pentax looking to introduce medium format

DSLR's.<br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?article_id=766&section_id=5&page_number=16">Also

Tamron is doing fine</a><br>

<br>

Being an ETRSi user myself this is encouraging. As long as they are

fiscally healthly they will be more tolerant of any lackluster

performance of the Bronica division. Who knows, maybe we'll see a

digital ETR in oh say 10 years. :)

Or maybe because you don't want to sell a whole kit of Mamiya lenses and Metz flash gear at yard sale prices?

The article mentioned Mamiya's idea as being a digital-only camera. Whether that means modular backs is unknown, but it would make sense to make it modular. On the other hand, the sensor is the most expensive part, so making a digital only body where you only change the finder and lenses would make sense too. Upgrade the sensor, and get a new body to boot.

But there's also another reason for a larger film/sensor area -- the different DOF characteristics. I personally like being able to get a miniscule DOF with my MF camera, if I want to. A tiny sensor, no matter the resolution, just can't do that. Of course you sacrifice being able to get deep depth of field without a huge amount of light but for my style that's just fine.

This is what I like the best from that article, according to Fuji Film Co.,

"Fuji explains that while snapshooters and sports photographers will undoubtedly go solely digital, pictorial and portrait photographers (and others addicted to film) would stay that way.

They also say that:

"Canon will upgrade present 35mm SLR line when necessary, Nikon is planning a high level film camera, and Minolta has at least two new 35mm SLRs coming. Camera manufacturers predict 35mm SLR sales will level out in 2004 and digital increasing percentages will do the same in 2005."

<i> However, by the above article it appears that medium format is still the choice of

pros in Japan. </i><p>

The mini-article states, <b>"Medium format sales in Japan are poor. Mamiya

credits drop in professional commercial advertising photography (due to economic

slump). In Japan, major customers for medium format are pros." </b> <p>

How coincidental that a MF manufacturer just happens to believe that a MF sales

slump (which we see worldwide) is temporary, that it has <u>nothing</u> to do with

digital, and that this only is occurring in Japan. Sorry, this sounds like self-serving PR.

Well, AZ, I'm not in Japan and they are. Maybe they know what they are talking about. In economic slumps people tend not to make large purchases, regardless of where they live. Do you know what the Japanese pros are doing?

If anyone else does feel free to chime in here.

>>Why not get a C 1Ds? Because a 56 X 45 sensor can pack 270% more punch than a

36 X 24 sensor.

So what? Mamiya is only talking 10MP, less than the 1Ds. And you'll get no tilt/shift

lenses, no extreme wide angle and no deep telephoto lenses. If they were talking 16

to 22MP then maybe I could see the advantage.

And if you want to upgrade to higher spec you don't have to replace the camera, just

the back.

That's why...............<<

No, it's a digital only camera, implying that it won't be modular. They already have a

modular system with the 645 AFD.

<i> Well, AZ, I'm not in Japan and they are</i><p>

Well Conrad, perhaps you're more willing to swill corporate blather. The MF market

has collapsed worldwide, and it's hard to believe that gadget-happy Japanese pros are

<b><u> less likely </u></b> than pros around the world in the move to digital.

My prediction is that there will be few sensors beyond 24x36, none of them for either the consumer or prosumer market. Current 24x36 sensors have a resolution which challenges even Medium Format, so bigger sensors won't make too much sense. Don't tell me that you would like to have a 4x6 cm 20MP sensor for $1000 for your 645 Pentax: It will not come.

As full 24x36 digcams have increased weight and size, a digital MF camera would grow too. Again the marked for a 3.0 kg 4.5x6 digicam is small. Most pros will turn to EOS1d or a full format Nikon (F6d) which will have better sensors year by year.

I like my Hasselblad, a good handholdable camera, but MF and Digital does not make too much sense for me. Very intersting indeed that 24x36 remains the dominant format for pros even in the digital world.

I'm not sure if this is indicitive of the Japanese market in general, but I just got back from Japan & managed a couple of real deals in used medium format equipment. I visited Photo Network in Sasebo, Japan and bought the following items: Mamiya 645 Super with 120 back & insert, motor drive, AE prism finder, & 80mm f/1.9 N lens for $275. I also purchased a Mamiya 55-110mm N zoom lens for $325. All items were in EX++ to Near Mint condition, except the AE prism which was in EX+ cosmetic condition (fully functional, though). The (2) lenses even came with the original Mamiya lens cases in perfect shape. The asking prices were so low that I did not even bother trying to haggle on price with them. At the same shop, they had used Leica M6s' for about $2,000 and an original MINT Nikon F body for about $2,000. They were also selling, of course, many new digital point & shoots and digital SLRs'. By comparison, a new Fuji S7000 was selling there for about $750 and a new Canon EOS 10D was selling for about $1,700.

"Well Conrad, perhaps you're more willing to swill corporate blather. The MF market has collapsed worldwide, and it's hard to believe that gadget-happy Japanese pros are less likely than pros around the world in the move to digital."

Ooooh. AZ gets fiesty.

Yes, considering the source and the publisher it is corporate blather. But sometimes there is a nugget of truth in such blather. The Japanese are a gadget-happy bunch, but that doesn't mean they have no place for low-tech (for example, there is a classic 35mm revival going on there). And there is also the possibility that because of its gadget status, digital photography may carry the stigma of being a "toy". Being steeped in tradition, film may carry more prestiege. Or not. I don't know. I am not there.

Calvin's post seems to indicate that the bottom has completely fallen out of the medium format market there to, judging by those prices. But there again, that could be most typical of used anything in Japan unless there is a cult following.

The other thing to consider is whether the medium format market is as far in the tank as some believe? If it is, why are the big names still in business and who is buying their stuff? Where is the evidence for the worldwide collapse of the MF market?

<i>Yes, considering the source and the publisher it is corporate blather. But

sometimes there is a nugget of truth in such blather.</i><p>

Like corn is dung, eh. Well, unsybstantiated claims might be nuggets to you, but

that's because you seem to be more willing to ignore the source while hoping you're,

um, chewing corn.