Digital Natives/Digital Migrants

wheelie52

Jeff is so right on all counts. I started out and remain pricipally a collector of photography, branching out into photographica as a sideline. The onus for archival preservation is on whoever does the displaying, whether it be gallery, museum or private party. The value of a print (or a painting for that matter) is determined almost exclusively by who the photographer or artist is, or better, as Jeff correctly said, "was".

I made over a million dollars writing software. I never took a software class. I simply thought of an idea, bought a few books, drank green-tea till the sun came up, and after a million lines of code that failed, suddenly it all came together ... and my ideas made enough sense for several companies to invest in. am I a digital-native, or a digital-migrant? or am I simply someone with a vision, a passion, and the commitment to bring an idea into life? it doesn't matter, never did, if I wrote in C, C++, or Assembly language. the idea came to life ... as does a photograph with a creative mind behind it.

"Some of the great prints are not very unique....I know one printer who makes a

"reference" print and re-photographs it."

Exactly, some of the "great" prints aren't unique at all. Making a large-format interneg

from a master-print wasn't that unusual, in some cases (for example some of Klein's

images which were distorted by changing enlargement/focus on the baseboard) there was

no other way of

getting anything remotely repeatable.

"In terms of the "value" of inkjet prints, there are not a lot of examples yet of how they are

accepted, but it is starting to be a big enough market that there are a few"

Jeff, there are already plenty of examples in the major museums and galleries that indicate

digital processes have no negative impact on "value". If anything, they have the reverse

effect because many of the limitations (such as size and levels of subtlety) of "traditional"

printing can be overcome digitally.

The only problem with this argument/discussion is this....face it people, Image is dead. That's right, there is no audience for photographic images. You have to get that in your head all you who are laboring in the vineyard of photographic images. People do not care! There are no longer publications that BELIEVE in the photographic image as a relevent cultural icon or purveyor of news. It is over! (Stephen Colbert has approved this message.)

I know a lot of really good photographers who don't understand the technology but still able to take great pictures. They leave the camera on Program and then take the film to a lab for processing. Now the only difference as far as they are concerned is that they now take the SD card for processing. I suppose it is the migrants who need to adjust to the new society else segregate themselves behind a wall.