Fixed CV 35/1.7 Ultron seems ok, sameples....

First off... why is the category inclusive of 3rd party lenses? Other

brands are not 3rd party, but 2nd party acutally, but I digress.....

Fixed up that Ultron that was loose for over a year and a half (and

sat unused). Hadn't really had the chance to give it a good practical

test, so thought I'd share this with whoever's interested.

I've got a vignette, flare and bokeh example.<div>006nBp-15714684.jpg.fe8c48086d1417a74fad5e46781b8c87.jpg</div>

<<First off... why is the category inclusive of 3rd party lenses? Other brands are not 3rd party, but 2nd party acutally, but I digress.....>>

I always refer to them as aftermarket lenses, unless someone's already referred to them as 3rd-party in which case I'm careful so as not to confuse that individual with too much literary acuracy.

The answer is that it's hard to get people to put threads in the correct catagory, so I have made them as wide as possible while still being grouped by subject. If I though I could actually convince people to use catagories like "Leica wide angle lenses made in the 60's and 70's" I would split everything up that way. But as nobody ever looks through the archives for information anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Charles: Pictures look good. I don't see flare. Last picture (of table setting) shows some darkening at corners, but it looks more like normal shadows than vignetting. Actually, I like the first outdoor scene, and it doesn't look overexposed.

I too own an Ultron, and I've never had any problems. I use it both w/a screw mount and w/an M leica. What problem did you have -- what got loose?

How about we define first party as made by the camera manufacturer, second party as made by another company using the same mount on their cameras, and third party lenses being produced by a company that doesn't make camera bodies for them. Thus Canon and Voigtlander screw mount lenses would be second party in relation to Leica, but Nikkor and Angenieux are third party. Not too shabby at that!

Whether it shows up in the sample pictures or not, the Ultron certainly does vignette a little when wide open. There's still a little at f/2, as well, which may or may not bother you, depending on the scene and the film.

According to Erwin Puts, the latest Leica 35mm lenses vignette, too -- I've given my book away, but I seem to remember something like 1.5 to 2 stops in the very corners. So I guess that's just what people expect from 35mm rangefinder lenses.

I'm glad you all had some fun with this...

The animal is a poor specimen of a grey fox. I guess they found it and mounted it. Since it was found dead (as opposed to harvested), it must have been sick/old before it died hence being a pretty scrawny mount.

Frank the old fox at my Thanksgiving table was the wife of 21 years (married not old).

I can see some pretty distinct vignetting in the shots taken wide open, but... seems to settle down nicely by f/2.8. The flare seems moderatly controlled - there's some there, but not a gross amount. To me at least, the OOF aras seem not as nice as the OOF on the 50/Summicron, but not overly harsh either.