Do M2, M3 & MP Chafe Straps?

david_s4

You're assuming that the camera hangs in a position that allows the strap to always contact the knob. There are many variables. Except for early M3 bodies the strap lugs are located slightly towards the front. With many lenses, like telephotos,the body tends to hang tipped forward. Even so, leather straps do chafe a bit, more so than fabric ones, but in daily use you can still expect a couple of years life out of a leather strap. If it worries you put some black tape around the strap where it contacts the knob.

David, For a meer $179 (at least for the MP), one can purchase the rapid rewind

crank which has a smooth surface. However, in practice, my M2 had the same leather

strap on it for over 25 years and never wore out. (Of course, I didn't use it as much

as Al uses his.) The strap was finally retired when I sent the M2 off for a coat of black

paint.

The answer to your question is no. I used an M2 with a leather strap for years and never had a problem. The leatherwear showed in other areas, such as on the rings, and dry chafing (because that�s what leather does), but never as a result of rubbing on the RW knob.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra