antonio_hidalgo

Hello everybody! I'm a not profesional nature photographer and I�ll

travelling for first time(in the third week of July) to area of

Seattle,Wa.

I know that it�s not the best time to look raptors.But I wish to

know if have I good opportunity to find Bald Eagles? and which are the

best locations (near Seattle and nearby islands) to photograph Bald

Eagles and wildlife in summer? Or definitely ,have I what conform

only with landscapes of Mountain and city scapes?

I have a 400/f5.6 lens(and wide lens to landscapes) and I think rent

a big glass like a 500 or 600/f4 to bird and wildlife shots. I am

looking for advice from those who have photographed bald eagles(and

other birds) in the area near to Seattle? Same to Mountain landscapes

and city scapes?

I thank you for all your answers.

Antonio Hidalgo, June

Antonio,

I live on Whidbey Island. It's about a 20 mile drive to the ferry landing in Mukilteo and then a short 20 minute ferry ride to the island itself. From the ferry your only about 5 miles from the town of Freeland and the Freeland Park. This is really a great place to shoot a few eagle shots. One is nesting right above the park parking lot right now and at times i've seen as many as 10 flying all over in the trees at one time. If this fails you all you need to do is drive another 40 miles to the other end of the island and hit the deception pass state park and you should also have good luck. One thing to remember is that the island has Eagle populations pretty much from end to end and all you need to do is drive slow and keep your eyes open.... I know that living on the island i see at least one every day but most of the time i'll see more than that.

If you have anymore questions please email me and i'll see if i can help you out.

Good luck.

Gordy Koetje

Antonio,

Another possibility to consider is to go to the Woodland Park Zoo, which is not only a very classy little zoo, but also has a great collection of raptors and other birds.

They have a Bald Eagle there that is on display on a perch about 20 feet from the fence and they also have shows to demonstrate it (and the other birds). You will be able to get some great close-ups of them this way.

Cheers,

Simon

I also live on Whidbey Island and just saw a few immature bald eagles along the western side of the island. If you do come up here, I recommend the Ft. Ebey/West Beach Rd. Area. If you are coming from the ferry to the south, a few miles after you pass the town of Coupeville there will be a left turn onto Libbey Rd. This will take you west to either Ft. Ebey State Park or you can then turn right (north) onto West Beach Rd. and follow it north to Joseph Whidbey State Park, where there is also a nest. I recommend getting a map and following the backroads near the water. Happy hunting!

There is a pair of Bald Eagles nesting right in Seattle. The nest is located in Seward Park no more than 100 yards from the upper parking lot. In the same park you will also find Great Blue Herons and Ducks Kingfishers.. etc....Along Lake Washington right off of interstate 520 on the Seattle side you will see a pair of Bald Eagles fishing right in the channel. You can rent a Kayak from the University of washington and paddle right up to where they are fishing. Then there is a pair living Right by the Zoo at Green Lake.