Nikons in action... aircraft mishap caught

albert_smith

My career for over twenty years was in the area of aircrew escape

systems for high performance aircraft (yes, that is a job!), and

usually when one of our systems is used, it is not recorded with

great pictures, unless it is at some air show where there are many

video cameras.<P>

Late last year a USAF F-16 crashed during an air show in Idaho.

There was indeed video, but it was shaky and not very well shot. The

best picture from that day, and maybe one of the best pictures I have

seen of an actual ejection (not on the test sled) was recorded by the

USAF photographer with a still digital Nikon and 300mm lens.<P>

Go to the link below, and scroll down to see the small thumb of a

head-on view of the ejection. Next to that is a "this page" link

(inside of the paragraph) where the full narrative of the shot with

photo credit and technical info is shown. Film, digital... it

doesn't matter, this is a great Nikon shot!<P>

<a href="http://www.ejectionsite.com/"> Link </a>

<I>Albert, do you use det cord to blow the window?</I><P>

Some aircraft do use det cord to shatter the canopy, but on the F-16 in this event, it is jettisoned from the aircraft as a single unit. The canopy has to go before the seat, so there are lanyards that spool out for 10 feet and then fire explosives to continue the seat sequence. The canopy is separated by small rockets in the leading edges after an explosive bolts fires to disconnect it from the aircraft structure.

Albert:<p>A spectacular picture! I'm glad the pilot made it out of there intact.<p>Reading the description on the site, I understand that the canopy has to fly off first. This then pulls on a lanyard which actuates the rest of the firing sequence. But here's a question that occured to my mind. These planes are built for combat. Suppose that during a dogfight the canopy was smashed, or the lanyard was cut by bullets. If the pilot is still alive to eject, is there a backup mechanism if the canopy won't fly off?

<I>Suppose that during a dogfight the canopy was smashed, or the lanyard was cut by bullets. If the pilot is still alive to eject, is there a backup mechanism if the canopy won't fly off?</I><P>

There have been situations with the F-16 where the lanyards were damged (in a mid-air collision) and the pilot Died even though the canopy did jettison. In the 1980s, we modified the lanyard system to make it redundant and able to work even if the canopy is sheared off at an unusual angle... but on the F-16, the canopy has to come off for the seat to fire. On other aircraft (F-15, A-10), there are canopy breakers on the seat to break the plexiglass if the canopy does not separate, but these aircraft have very thin glass that is bowed into a frame. The F-16 glass is very thick and a single piece (no wind screen and overhead section like the F-15) molded into shape, it won't break clean.

<I>What keeps the pilots face/body safe?</I><P>

Many different systems out there, but essentially the face is protected by the helmet, visor and O2 mask. At some airspeeds, the helmet sometimes is ripped off by the initial airblast. On some aircraft, there is a face-curtain to activate the ejection, where a canvas curtain is pulled down over the face to protect from air-blast and helmet loss. The body is held in place by the seat structure, and on some systems, there are leg restraints that hold the legs in to protect from flail injuries.<P>

After many tests on rocket sleds, the highest speed where flail damage and bodily injuries consistantly occur (measured on a dummy with sensors), the upper limit is then stated as within the envelope. Ejections that are initiated out of the envelope are not a good thing... too fast, too low with sink rate, inverted at low altitude, ect...<P>

Sorry if this is getting off topic, the initial post was about a Nikon camera used in a fast breaking situation with great success.