What is this thing?

robbie

Can you identify this thingybit? Its been in my box of Leitz bits

for ages and i have nothing that seems to go with it, I 'think' its

a filter adapter for a Summarit but i dont have a Summarit so i cant

test my theory.

The thread at the top end is larger than 39mm and smaller than 43mm

so maybe 41mm??

At the bottom end it looks like a bayonet mount with 2 small lugs.

Any ideas?<div>007Q6K-16668684.JPG.e03b1c6b6ccb0d70be0f1bfaab9c8206.JPG</div>

Robbie does it have by chance a 5 letter code word on it?? I checked my book and it looks a little bit like a couple of different filter adapters it doesn't look exactly like any. Is it by chance a two part item? The little bitty bayoney lugs inside look like they would fit my 5cm f1.5 Summarit but then it also looks like a SOOEY which is for 42mm type O lenses and Summitar filters. Summarit filters are 41mm.

Its definately not a 2 piece thingy, it also has no 5 letter code, it is only marked 'GERMANY'

I cant see anything in any of my Leitz books, it certainly looks like a Leitz item though, Its quite heavy and it extremely well finished, the piece of felt around the inside is the same type that you find on the inside of lens caps.

If Summarit filters are 41mm then i am even more clueless!

as suggested already, it is probably an adapter for the bayonet filter system of the summarit. i have one somewhere myself. i don't remember for sure, but i think the thread size is 40.5 (i.e. zeiss/contax size). there is an off chance it was designed to fit something else besides the summarit. some of the voigtlander prominents had a bayonet mount for filters i think.

The felt lining would seem to indicate a push-on adapter of some sort. Are you sure it is all there? Perhaps it is the rear portion of a lens shade � the front portion lost!. Several designs of Leica shades were made in two parts screwed together in the same manner as the #12585. Notice the inside threads. Get a mike and check them out.

yeah it could be some sort of hood thingy, the thread size is larger than 39mm and a whole 39mm filter just falls in, its slightly smaller than 43mm as my 43mm mamiya press filters just sit on top!

It looks like you could stack another one of these things on top as theres the bayonet thing around the outside.

I think its some sort of filter adapter, i only thought it was a leitz thing as i got it in a box of leitz stuff a while ago.