film AND digital

victor_cruz1

For b&w, with rare exceptions, most work is done in a wet

darkroom, and I only scan to make web images or, occasionally,

to provide someone with a file from which they can make

numerous copies (e.g. headshots). Color transparency work is

heavily edited, then scanned and printed digitally. Most color

negative work is done with wet processes.

"Just because digital is faster, the learning curve isn't instantaneous when using PS and digital printing. In that respect, it is no different than a wet process."

That's one of the compelling reasons why I do not wish to get into digital photography. Why start over and learn an entirely different process (digital) when I already know this one (film)? And where the new process will not enhance my picture taking skills or the production of prints any better than the film technology I presently use. If you don't shoot for a newspaper or magazine, where you have to know digital photography, what's the point of a prosumer spending a great deal of money on an entirely new process which has a steep learning curve? I am very happy with my Leica M6 and film technology. Thank you very much, but I have no reason to go digital.

FWIW, and so you don't get the impression that I believe digital is the work of the devil, my son is a journalism major and I bought him his first camera last summer, a Canon digital. That's the technology he needs to learn.

Cheers,

Dennis

utter bullshyt....go look at paul caponigros prints....

theres are tons of people making spectacular digital prints these days, far better than

silver.....

as for me, im happy with the crap i get....

---

Well I'm glad you're happy with it... ultimately it's a matter of preference.

I *have* seen some outstanding giclees. But I've also seen some outstanding silver (&

platinum) prints and *still* prefer silver (& platinum). Maybe you should go look at

some of Irving Penn's prints, or Jock Sturges - start training your eye in terms of

subtleties. I've yet to see a digital paper with an equivalent of an air-dried glossy FB

surface.

Where *you're* full of sh-t is in reference to Photoshop. As someone mentioned in

another thread, when you burn you do *NOT* extract additional detail from the neg as

in wet printing but simply darken an area. You can *NOT* flash an image as you can in

the darkroom. Try as you might you surely can *NOT* create a lith print in Photoshop.

Why do you think the wet darkroom is still around, and in use by many world's most

successful photographers?

Best,

Babar

I shoot mainly black and white in 645, 4x5 and 35mm and process, proof and enlarge in my wet darkroom using an omega d2 or a Durst m601 and using a nova quad processor as my trays, unless I am printing 20x24 where I would tray process.

For the limited color I do shoot, I have my local lab process and get contact sheets or keep positive film uncut then decide which shot(s) I would like printed. I ship this film to my sister who drum scans them at no cost to me because I am such a great brother and she burns me a cd. I then can play around in photoshop and save to a cd to give to her. She fixes the color if it is way out of wack and then prints it for me, for the cost of the paper and inks. I prefer not to work in color and since I am not pro I generally don't shoot it. Photoshop is a great program, little hard to learn at first, but fun and full of possibilities, but IMHO is no substitute for a traditional wet/optical darkroom. I am just glad I have the time to spend printing.

Marc and Mike,

I'm interested in how long it takes each of you to go from in-camera image to finished print. I've been handing off the back-end of the process to my local lab for years now, but am thinking about doing some of my own processing again. This would mean either re-learning the wet darkroom, or really-learning photoshop. When I get done with either, I'm interested in how much time I'd be spending on the process. Any thoughts?

Personaly ,and i'm not a pro, but I think scanning color neg's and then pringting digitally is exceptible, since that what i see in gallery's these days. ofcoarse these are irisis or somthing like that

but using an epson ink jet comes pretty close, so that's what i do.

Having said that --with b\w its a different matter. When I scan and print digital i seem to get a better seperation of tone's than than in the dark-room ,but at the same time, when i scan negs, even at its highest sampleing, there seems to be some infomation missing from the negs,that i get when going silver gel