Hi. I own an Elan IIe and love the way the camera handles. I am very

intersted in entering the digital field, but want a camera that is

equivalent to the elan II. I like the 300d's image capabilities, but

am turned off by it's lack of CF and more importantly, the lack of

rear dial. The 10d has everything I want, but cost is too high out my

range. So now I am taking a look at used d60s. The D60 has the

resolutions and CFs that I want. It looks like it has everything and

more that my Elan II has. So what is the main difference in the 10d

vs the d60? Is the d60 a good camera to buy?

DOes anyone also know if any canon dslrs better than the 300d will

drop to within the 1k range?

Tuam, how in blazes does anyone know what Canon'll do? It's not like they're going

to announce that 'Spring, 2004, the 10D will be dropped in price to $899!' That's not

how companies function.

The 10D is an evolved D60. Highly evolved. My advice is to stop wringing hands and

buy one. If the used market is any indicator, you can always sell it for 65% or so of

the original purchase price in x amount of time anyway.

Well, yes. Market dynamics would have it that as time goes on more DLSRs below $1000 will be in the market. To not introduce it would mean letting Canon get away with a huge chunk of the DSLR market.

The question is... how long? But sticking with Canon... not soon. They've just introduced the 300D. For the 10D to drop to sub $1000 or hover just above it the 300D will have to go down significantly... or everyone will just rush for the 10D instead.

Apart from the plastic body... I'd say the 300D is waaay better than the D60 for me. It's brand new. The lack of dial n' other stuff wasn't too hard to get used to and it's not stuff I can't live without. Also... the warranty helps peace of mind.

• 1 month later...
I used to have a D60 for a long time, then got a 300D in October 2003. A week ago i got rid of the 300D and bought a used D60, it arrived today. The AF is slow, but reliable. The 300D focused everywhere but on the intended subject (only center AF point activated). The exposure compensation button on the 300D is another issue, it´s really hard to hit without taking the camera down. If you don´t need fast AF, there´s nothing wrong with a used D60. Used D60s fetch record prices on ebay.de (Germany), because of 10D´s focus problems. It´s tough to find one for less than 1200 EUROs.