hyatt_lee

Hey, I haven't posted here in awhile so I thought I'd just mention a

couple of things. I bought a Nikon D70 two weeks ago. The battery

is great and lasts a long time. Today I was taking pictures of the

mass rally opposing the election results in Taiwan. My battery ran

out on my digi, after a full week of use without charging. Then I

just stuck in in the bag and pulled out the trusty voightlander

21mm. I think I got better shots too. My advice, don't choose film

over digital or the other way around. Love 'em both!

I use both. It makes me happier. I like to be able to have various choices when I take a camera with me. I enjoy the instant gratification of a digital. I enjoy the nervous anticipation of a wait while my roll is at the lab. I enjoy the lack of dependency on batteries when using my Konica or Yashicamat. I wnjoy handling different systems be it slr, rangefinder, medium format or digital. I they all have their plusses and minuses. Just the other day I was debating the creative use of 6x6 slides - putting a slide in between glass bound with wood to make a beer coaster. Try doing that with a digital! Just go out there and have creative fun with whatever you are using.

Let us know how long the D70 will keep you happy. I jumpped at one point into DSLR but soon jumpped back out. Lucky I did not sell any Leica then so the jumpping back was very easy. Only I had to lose some money selling the DSLR. Good luck and enjoy.

Well, I am also jumpping now...back to Nikon FM2. Over the weekend I used the camera and it just feel so good. Can't remember why I jumpped into Leic ain the first place but that's not important now. I love them both.

I started digital, then I bought a 20 year old film camera, and a 60 year old film camera.

<p>

Guess which I use the least?

<p>

The digital haha

<p>

Nonetheless, I do use them all, and wouldn't want to do away with any of them as they all have a place for me.

I keep jumping back, and forward. I have a Nikon D1X, which I like a lot, and I went back

from M6 to M2, which I now prefer, and from Nikon F5 to FM3A. I won't part from my F3

or my

Olympus OM2. But I'm looking into Digilux 2. Oh, and Nikon F2.

What is the common denominator? AF seems to be relegated to digital, while film stays

MF. I love it that way.

Go figure.

If you still have a foot in the film camp, technically you haven't jumped and are sitting the fence...

The Nikon D100 and presumably the D70 have remarkable battery life, but expecting to last a full week of intensive shooting on a single battery charge might be asking for too much. Buying a spare battery is also highly advisable.

I run a hockey league and yesterday was a day with 2 hours of finals hockey games. I needed totake shots during the game and a team picture on the ice for the winning team after I hand them the trophy. I was using a Canon D30. I was running out of battery by the end of the 1st hour. I had a spare but wanted to save it for the second hour. At that point I wished I had a backup film body just in case I ran out of juice before the team picture.

I recently sold my D100 and all my Nikon gear for a full Leica setup. So far my only regret is that I wasted all those years with the Nikon Gear when I could have been enjoying the Leica from the begining. I am one of those irrational Leica fans now. I hated digital for many reasons, and I hated all the heavy Nikon gear.

I do agree that each has its purpose, and what one person says it usually not relevent to what another person needs. I am just glad I found what makes me happy.

Does my negative attitude towards digital capture of photographs mean I am getting old? And I am just trying to fight progress?

Btw with my Nikon D100 I missed half of my childs second birthday party because of battery death, they where snap shots anyway. I rarely took great pictures with the D100 for some reason (wierd).

thanks

Steve

Similar to Stephen, I have just started to experience the joys of using a Leica M6 since getting a used unit recently. I was using a Coolpix 5000 for the last two years but never got the kind of pics I have wanted from it. There were a lot of missed shots due to shutter lag. However it was an excellent learning experience for me with digital cameras, and I don't think I would be happy right now spending more money after it. My Nikon F4 and lenses are in cold storage now as it was a pain to carry about with all that weight.

The M6 has showed me how simplicity in equipment [limited electronics, no AF, etc] can be so good and enjoyable. What matters most is that I enjoy my photography a lot more today than I did before! Wished I have experienced the M camera 20 yrs ago!

Daniel