MP Advance Lever and Flash Shoe Touch

david_s4

I've been lurking for a while, so it's good to talk to you all, now

that I have a question.

<p>I've borrowed an M6 Classic a few times, so I know that rangefinder

shooting and I get along well. I have the opportunity to buy a

nearly-new silver MP at a decent price (about US$2K). I was giving the

camera a once-over inspection and noticed that the advance lever

touches the corner of the flash shoe when fully retracted.

<p>So for those of you with MP's, or who have carefully inspected

them, have you noticed this as well, or should I consider this a

defect that may damage the lever or shoe with continued use?

Mine touches as well, so its probably not a defect. And with no friction, unlikley to

cause damage. The real defect is the cheap ISO dial, which is prone to select a speed

on its own when being handled during the course of a day.. (Someone needs to

design a clear cap or something to fit over this to avoid accidental movement)..

Anyhow, hope that helps.

After 36 years of using M bodies you gotta come along and make me look at the levers on my M2 and M3 bodies. Some touch, some don't, some touch the shoe and some touch the shutter speed dial first! It makes me think that they're not all the exact same size or shape. Anybody got a better idea?

1. The MP's advance lever does touch the flash shoe, which is slightly different than the M2/M3's where it touches the shutter dial. I've seen a half dozen slightly-used black paint MP's and all of them have developed a bright spot on the advance lever tip where it hits. Oddly the bright marks were all silver-colored.

2. Or you could order a nice plastic-tipped M6 advance lever from Leica and have it installed.

3. Or you could buy a mint M6 and save $700.

Thank you all. Regarding Jay's first point, the lever isn't likely made of brass. The following is from an MP <a href="http://www.leica-camera.com/unternehmen/presse/data/03260/index_e.html">

press release</a>:

<p><i>"Like the LEICA M7, the LEICA MP has a top of solid brass. The main body and housing consist of light-weight but robust diecast aluminum. All the controls such as the speed dial, the film advance lever and the rewind crank are made entirely of metal."</i>

As usual Jay is talking complete bollocks about the MP. The advance lever of the black paint MP is made of BRASS. Evidenced by brass showing after some use. I suspect one of two things is going on here. Jay is either seeing what he wants to see, rather than the truth (being prejudiced on all things MP), or he is colour blind.

Henryk

My MP has about 1mm x 1mm of wear or chip(?) on the serrated edge of the lever wind, where it has hit the hot-shoe. A bright(ish) silvery-grey is what shows through. I would guess that brass is probably too soft to use on this fairly high stress part. As long as it does its job who cares?

Anyway if the resultant glare causes me eyestrain I could always put a blob of black paint or felt pen on it :>)

Regards

Bruno

'Can someone verify that it is made of brass?'

Yes it is made of brass Henryk. I think Bruno is 'seeing' something that is fooling his eyes. The serrated end of the lever on my MP shows a silver grey finish in some small areas, but this is just the last vestige of black paint (which if you scratch it obviously looks a lighter grey)or etch primer that Leica applied. As soon as a larger area is uncovered and shows polished wear even Bruno will see the metal underneath is brass. As for not using brass because it is a 'high stress' part of the camera, somebody like Bruno should have mentioned that to Leica in all their previous weak attempts at advance levers on M3, M2, etc etc, because they to are made from brass.

• 11 months later...

Steve

Never saw your response before now - must be something to do with my eyes? As you agree there is a silvery grey finish on your wind lever, how am I seeing things, if that's what I see as well? I did not suggest that Leica had got it wrong all these years , but that I guessed it wasn't brass because I've got better things to do than sit around scatching my film wind lever to see what's under the silvery grey area. If it is brass - so what ? who cares, as I also said.

Regards

Bruno