Super Isolette Question

radenko_stojakovic

I just got a old AGFA Super Isolette and I need help with shutter

release button. It is locked. Does that mean I need to load film

first?

I don�t see any reference marker for film start as I have on my other

MF cameras. Film counter is at A1.

I read somewhere that this camera has "interlock"?

Please help,

Radenko

rds@garlic.com

Interlock _usually_ means you cannot activate the shutter until the film has been advanced, this prevents multi-exposure. With some cameras, you can open the back and simply simulate the action of advancing the film thus releasing the interlock. This 'simulation' may involve rotating a roller or whatever your camera uses. Don't force anything, if it doesn't move easily chances are that it is not supposed to move. Your best bet is a manual.

cheers,

• 4 years later...

Excuses for the very late answer; you probably already have figured it out or got rid of the camera... Anyway, maybe it is useful to somebody else. I use regularly a Super-Isolette and have recently started accessing this site.

This camera only allows shutter operation when the film is loaded. You load the film by threading it into the receiving spool and then closing the back. Then, advance the film. A mechanism detects the beginning of film and moves the counter to the first position. Only then is the shutter mechanism ready to be released. But, in order to release it you must first cock the Compur shutter by lowering the small round lever in the left upper portion of the lens.

Then for each photo you advance the film and cock the shutter again.

The absence of the red window to read the film numbers makes this camera safe to use with modern color, high ASA film.

I find the lens much better than I expected. I remember my father (this camera was his) running paired comparisons with a Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar lens in large BW enlargements, both cameras in a tripod, and you could not tell which was which...of course maybe our enlarging equipment was not tops, but I am sure it was pretty good for the time (1967 or so). Alas, he sold the Rollei many years ago.

I am using this Agfa camera for color slides, and I find the definition *on the film* (using a loupe) comparable to reasonably good 35 mm lenses such as Pentax SCMP 50 mm/f2 (with Velvia or Ektachrome professional film). Have not run scientific tests.

I like this camera very much because it is very light and easy to carry for the quality. Probably the Super-Ikontas are better or similar, but maybe more expensive. Highly recommended if you are looking for an inexpensive, portable folding camera and you know your way with rangefinders and using a photometer or estimating exposure.