rob_sato

I was looking through one of my old McBroom's Camera Blue books and

noticed an interesting footnote of a lens . Constant aperture f/3.9

Kalimar 28-200mm superzoom.Apparently, author McBroom had used it and

liked it. I've never heard of a constant aperture for such a focal

length range. I've got a couple of older high grade superzooms

including a Tamron SP 35-210mm f/3.5-4.2 and a Tokina ATX 35-200mm

f/3.5-4.5. I like them both, especially the Tokina because of their

sharpness and versatility but there's that variable aperture problem.

I also saw a little blip on the Superzoom radar in Pop Photo magazine

a few months back about a Nikkor 28-200mm f/2.8! (Probably a

prototype).After that, poof gone. So, despite being an exception to

the rule of variable aperture high ratio zooms , constant aperture

high ratio zooms are apparently not an impossiblity. I was checking

around and came across several more lenses on the net like a Sakar 28-

200mm f/4 and a Nikura 28-200mm f/4. Both apparently are constant

apertures. But, I remember Nikura having had the bad habit of not

listing both wide angle and telephoto maximum apertures in the 80s.

For example , a 35-135 f/3.5 was actually a f/3.5-4.5, it just wasn't

labelled. My guess is that because Sakar, Nikura and Kalimar are

smaller indie labels, that it could all be one lens relabelled.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever come across such a high ratio

constant aperture zoom before?

Especially the Kalimar 28-200mm . Could be an interesting knock

around lens.

Aloha and thanks.

I'm not sure what your concern is over a zoom that changes by

one f-stop or less. Pretty much all suck wide open anyway. The

only speed that buys you much at the ~200 tele end is going to

be 2.8 or faster, or a VR-type lens, either of which are mucho

$$$.

If you want affordable speed and quality, you might want to look

at a few primes instead.

Elvis. Your answer is completely irrelevant to my question. BTW, I do have primes. 18,20, multiple 28s, multiple 50s, 85,100,multiple 135s,

300,400 and more. Just as a 28mm wouldn't get used when a 300mm is more appropriate and an f/1.4 wouldn't get used if an f/8 is what is needed, primes and zooms have the same relationship. In other words, just as every aperture or focal length has its own unique characteristics, so do primes and zooms. One uses them for different purposes. For lower light, slower films, back light, fast maximium apertures with low weight, primes rule. For flexibility in moderate to well lit situations, for being in areas where movement is restricted, difficult or impossible, or for traveling as lightly as possible with the most optical flexibility zooms have the edge. I'm sure there are those who would be more then able to post additonal advantages (and disadvantages too) of each type of lens that haven't already been listed here. Different lenses for different purposes Elvis. Different lenses for different purposes. Got it?

Rob Sato

Elvis. Your answer is completely irrelevant to my question. BTW, I do have primes. 18,20, multiple 28s, multiple 50s, 85,100,multiple 135s,

300,400 and more. Just as a 28mm wouldn't get used when a 300mm is more appropriate and an f/1.4 wouldn't get used if an f/8 is what is needed, primes and zooms have the same relationship. In other words, just as every aperture or focal length has its own unique characteristics, so do primes and zooms. One uses them for different purposes. For lower light, slower films, back light, fast maximium apertures with low weight, primes rule. For flexibility in moderate to well lit situations, for being in areas where movement is restricted, difficult or impossible, or for traveling as lightly as possible with the most optical flexibility zooms have the edge. I'm sure there are those who would be more then able to post additonal advantages (and disadvantages too) of each type of lens that haven't already been listed here. Different lenses for different purposes Elvis. Different lenses for different purposes. Got it?

Rob Sato

Then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you: f 3.9 isn't notably fast in the 28 -- 200mm range.

I'm questioning why you feel that an aperture change of 1 stop (or less) over the range of a slow hyperzoom is at all significant.

But if you really want a slow, fuzzy and (most likely) overpriced "constant-aperture" hyperzoom, where you are pretty much limited to fast, grainy film in bright sunlight if you want to be able to use the normal--tele end handheld, knock yourself out. I bet the sucker's going to be big and heavy, too.

Doesn't matter. Just borrowed a friend's 28-200mm f/3.9. Tested it. My hunch was right. It's a f3.9-5.6. The high ratio constant aperture zoom is a mythical beast. Looks like Mr. McBroom made an error on his price guide writing about a lens that doesn't really exist.

• 6 months later...
Hi, my name is Luis Davelouis, I live in Peru and I'm new to this wonderful field of photography. So this is all new and I'm here to learn and share experiences like, I guess, everybody else.I own a Nikura 28-200 f/3.9... I have a Nikkon FE2 that uses a through-the-lens (TTL) center-weighted full aperture exposure metering system which measures the light passing through the lens at maximum aperture. My question is, rather than an answer (please bear with me), if the real aperture of the Nikura at full extension is 5.6, why doesn?t my camera change the speed when I go from 28 to 200 in auto mode?. I have two other lenses, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 that came with the camera (beautiful optics) and a Zoom Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6D IF that is nice but a bit slow and not that luminous (of course). With the zoom nikkor, the metering system adjust the speed in stops as I go from 28 to 200, so the light sensor works, then what is it? Honestly, I boght the Nikura because the f/3.9 all the way aperture, and because it was quiet inexpensive for a country like mine. Greetings. Luis.