Are Sigma Digital Cameras and/or Sigma lenses comparable to Canon?

leepix

And what about the actual quality of the new rebel 300???

I am looking for a 2nd digital body and ultra wide lens for shooting on the street. I do lots

of photo journalism subjects and I was going to plunk down for another Canon 10D - but-

I am seeing the 300 rebel and the Sigma and now I hear about a Photo show impending..

If anyone could address this seriusly i would be aoooooooooo appreciative.

Thanks

Lee McLaughlin

Hi Lee,

Mike is right, the DRebel and 10D use the same basic components and processing system. There must be some differences in the way the cameras process image data because the DReble is not as clean as the 10D in terms of image noise. There are also many missing features in the DRebels that the 10D has. Chesk out the test images on DPReview.com

HTH

Sigma makes some really good glass. They also make some crap. Same with canon. Good glass and some crap.

A sigma body is going to autofocus slower. Even in bright light they tend to hunt even on contrasty subjects.

I borrowed my uncle's sa7 3 weeks ago and used it on a photo expedition.

For some really wierd reason the thing had a really difficult time locking onto the young african american girl i was photographing. Even with auto advance, and rewind shooting with my k1000 was much quicker.

Now you have to realize it wasn't an overcast day. I was shooting iso

200 at 5.6 at 250th of a second and the lens was a 2.8 prime.

The orginal elan i picked up instead of getting the sa7 has faster autofocus. It's 10 years older than the sa7.

I think that would make canon a better choice for pj style shooting.

One caveat. The images from the sa7 were quite nice.