Hasselblad H1 vs. Contax 645

marco_casale

I like/use Zeiss lenses for portrait work. In 645 that mean Contax or Rolleiflex 6008i/AF or later with a rotating 456 back (The back moves v or h not the whole camera). If you are after a good focal plan shutter 645, get the Contax very fine camera. If you want fill flash at any speed buy the Rolleiflex. They are both first class MF cameras and use Zeiss optics in 645.

Fuji lenses are harsh for portraits in my personal view. I can see using the Fuji for product and landscape, but not glamour or portraits.

My non scientific opinion is that the Hasselblad H1 is the better all around

choice over the Contax 645; . the Zeiss lenses are terrific but so arethe Fuji

lenses used by the H1. In al lother areas, my experience (and I own a Contax

645AF) , is that the autofocus (faster and more accurate) and general

handling of the H1 really make the difference. Also I think you are gonna see

in the future that the H1 system will be suported for a lot longer than the

Contax will be. I like the Contax, but I like the H1 more.

I've shot with but not owned both of those cameras. IMO if I were comparing the Contax 645 as against the Fuji-branded version of the H1 I'd still go for the Contax because for the same money you get Zeiss glass. But to spend twice as much as the Contax for the same Fuji just because they paste on a Hasselblad nameplate *and* add insult to injury by not giving you Zeiss lenses? I'd have to be stark raving nuts.

I use the Contax 645 with the full compliment of Contax lenses and rate it very highly, it works for me, but for your purposes you may well be more satisfied with the Hasselblad. Specifically for the H1's ability to use fill and studio flash right up to 1/800 second (the Contax is limited to 1/250 and 1/90 respectively) this, together with a significantly faster auto-focus system, may tip the balance towards the Hasselblad for you.

Regarding optics, I've only used the H1 for one weekend, and then only with the 50mm, 80mm and 150mm lenses. They're sharp all right, the 80mm and 150mm are probably sharper than the Contax equivalents, and I've heard it said that the Hasselblad 210mm is a lot sharper than the Contax 210mm. But the Fuji glass doesn't deliver the creamy smooth results of the Zeiss lenses, it's something that's difficult to put into words, but there's a kind of fluid harmony to the Zeiss images that to my eye is more valuable than every last scrap of resolution. Also, the Contax line up includes the best 120mm macro lens I've ever come across, and a 350mm lens plus a x1.4 multiplier, which gives you a longer option than with the Hasselblad.

It comes down to personal preferences and applications, they're both great systems, and to make a considered choice you should try and hire both systems before you buy.

Actually there's one other issue that may be relevant for you, especially if you wear glasses. The H1 viewfinder is bigger, brighter and has more eye relief. The Contax viefinder is good, the H1 viewfinder is great!

I have fallen in love with the Pentax 645 NII. A photographer's camera. A shooter's camera. Everything so nice, convenient, and easy. Superb lenses. A 600mm/5.6. A 150mm/2.8. A range of 67 lenses to adapt. Fast and secure autofocus. And the cheapest one. OK, I know about the digital and the filmback issue, but I decided to get one anyway. And I am happy with it!

The Contax has a focal shutter that allows you to use a vast variety of lenses via adapter. Though stop down metering has to be done, AE in centerweighted and focus confirmation are still working.

The irony is, you can use Blad V series lenses with the Contax but not with the Hasselblad H1.

The H1 is a great tool..previous to owning the H1 I owned a Hassey 500cm system. I have therefore use both the Zeiss and now the Fuji lenses. The Zeiss lenses are softer and have a very pleasing signature. The Fuji lenses are super sharp and have great resolving power...If a lens had the quality of both the Zeiss and Fuji it would be perfect and as we all know there is no perfect. I would try to rent each system and try them out and decide for yourself which look u like.

I have also use the Contax system briefly.. but IMHO, in terms of camera body features, handling and speed it is a no brainer for me the H1 is the better body.

For critical work, I am a strong advocate of using a waist-level finder with its pop up magnifier. For fast work, a prism finder & speed grip of cource. My Rollei 6008i is home with both, and the quick change 4560 magazines (about 3 seconds to change from vertical to horizontal frame & without turning or moving the camera (try that with Your Contax or H1..)) is a blessing anywere - with second magazine about the size of a cigarette pack (as only the central portion of the mag is taken out!). Both 645's is maybe faster in AF than the Rollei 6008AF, but the other features of the rollei, two comprehensive lens-series (Zeiss & Schneider) + a system allready being with us for 25 years (all SLX equipment work on 6008) would probably make a 6008AF w/4560 mag's WL & prism finder a good choice for Your work. And then - when You find out - 6x6 is a VERY nice format also - and You allready have a perfect camera for it (buy a used $$200 Rollei 6006 back & Your' up & go in that format also..).

Hi,

Contax not only has a fine group of lenses that can be used on their 35mm N system but also the ability to use all the Zeiss Hasselblad lenses. This makes the Contax great. The H1 can only use the new lenses.

The Fujiblad is good, but my Zeiss glass bring life to my photo's.

Why people are woried about the speed of auto focus in medium format is beyond me, the Contax is more than fast enough.

You will pay alot of money for a H1 because the Hasselblad name is on it.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

The Contax is a fantastic camera, no doubt. BUT, it only sync's at 1/125,

useless in the studio. The Hassy's are a great tank but for the price and the

same quality go for the ROLLEI 6000 series. I've used them for awhile now

and I'll never use another camera. Lenses are insane, they come with motor

drive built in, I can't praise them enough.

People go out and spend a ton on Hassy and for the same money you get so

much more with ROLLEI, I hear people complain about service but I've never

had to send anything in so I couldn't tell you, and believe me my gear gets

punished.

You've just got to know where to look. Call Mike at Ctrades if you decide to go

with Rollei. The H1's are being pushed by Hassy because they annoyed

Zeiss, I heard that there's a big suprise coming, no what I mean.

Ando.

www.markandersonphoto.com

• 8 months later...