D70 and processing woes

I picked up the d70 about two weeks ago. Since then I've read a lot

of posts comparing the Rebel and the D70. One common comment about

the D70 that came up again and again is that the camera's firmware

is programmed in such a way that many pictures are underexposed. I

haven't found this to be the case all the time, but I routinely get

underexposed pics (in auto mode) when I'm outside, especially if its

cloudy. I've already sunk my money so this is a bit

disturbing/frustrating. Can anyone suggest a helpful remedy?

Thanks,

Hyatt Lee

You're just going to have to anticipate when the camera will behave in that certain way (ie, underexposing the picture), and adjust accordingly to correct it. Every camera takes a little getting used to, and you just gotta get to know its characteristics.

i suggest learning how to use the camera.....spend some time with it and learn how the meter responds....

<br>

<br>

do a search on the zone system too, this will also help you understand how better to expose an image for the way you want, rather than let the technology of the device control you.....

Switch to centre weighted average metering. The problem with modern Matrix/Evaluative metering is that it is very hard to predict. It is a black magic black box. Who knows what it does and why it does it ! It is right most of the time and wrong some of the time. Often the cause of its misbehaviour is obvious and sometimes it is not. CWA metering is very primitive, requires more experience to use effectively, is wrong more often, and is completely predictable.

Do the images from the D70 look good when tweaked ? Digital sensors struggle with highlights and experienced shooters often deliberately underexpose to retain highlight details.

The images from the D100 didn't look so crash-hot right out of the camera either. There are sites where people swapped Photoshop curves adjustments and the like to get their pics looking good. It sounds like the D70 is in the same boat.