If there had never been a Leica, which camera would you...

james_kennedy2

prefer? I have never held a Leica SLR. I have owned, used, or

borrowed the following: Voigtlander vito b, vito III, vitomatic II

and IIa, CLR, vitessa L and T, prominent, Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35,

Retina IIa and IIIc, Konica auto S2, Canon FT-QL, FTb, F-1, T90, and

Nikon Fmn2. I think the Leica threadmounts are among the most

elegant rangefinders ever built and I have been pleased with the

photo quality, but if Leica had never existed, I think my first

choice among the cameras I have experienced would be (1) rangefinder -

Kodak Retina IIIc and (2) SLR - Canon T90, based on how they feel in

my hand, quality of workmanship, portability, flexibility, and the

images they produce. I guess I prefer the era of 20 to 40 years ago,

but I also preferred me during that era. I have yet to experience a

Contax IIa or III, or a Nikon F2 or any classic Nikon rangefinders.

If I had, they may have risen to the top of my list. I would be

interested in reading on how you would rank your favorite non-Leica

cameras.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-Leica rangefinders: Contax G system. Although viewfinders aren't their stronger point, Zeiss glass is incredible. About focusing problems, except in a very few cases, it's always a question of users not understanding the focusing systems of the Gs. The Konica Hexar AF is an incredible camera, also.

</p>

35mm reflex: Nikon F2 and probably Olympus OM-1.

</p>

6x6: A TLR Rolleiflex

If there had never been a Leica there might never have been any of the other 35mm rangefinder cameras, in fact it's hard to say if 35mm photography and the whole amateur-fueled shutterbug explosion of the post-WWII-era would have happened. However for the sake of hypothesizing, I would have probably ended up with an Olympus OM system for travel photography as it was the smallest around and lasted until just a couple years ago. Otherwise I'd own all the same cameras I currently use for other purposes than travel: Nikon F, Hasselblad, Rolleiflex, EOS. And if there had never been a Leica I would still have the thousands of dollars I lost flushed down the toilet on the R system and would not have had all that aggravation and stress.

For me it would be a nice 2.8 Planar Rolleiflex and a Contax SLR, either the 159mm or the Aria. Over the last months my Leica is gathering a bit of dust, since I got a 'new' 2.8e and a nice 200/3.5 Tele Tessar for my old Contax RTS.

<p>

Rangefinder ? Are there any other rangefinders than Leicas ? If I needed to choose on, maybe the Olympus 35 RD that is sittin around somewhere on my shelves ...

Way back it would've been the Canon F1 and black FTB that were my first "real" cameras.

Today, I'd just be without a rangefinder. Tried and hated all the others other than Leica M.

(except the Hasselbad X-Pan or Fuji counterpart, which maybe I'd have if there was no M

system)

Other than that, I have all the cameras I'd use.

<p><em>Nigel. http://www.m-fortytwo.info</em></p><p>The opening page makes this site look promising, but it's utterly unusable for those who don't have Java installed. This seems both sad and -- since the huge majority of sites don't require Java for navigation -- surprising. Incidentally, while Mozilla tells me that I need a plug-in, Konqueror doesn't even tell me this. I'll bet a fair number of visitors just think "This site's broken" and turn away.</p><p>As for the SP500, that was my first "serious" camera too. Unfortunately it was stolen a couple of decades later, but I still have the 55/2 lens that came with it; I can use this on my Canon F-1.</p>

It might be fun to still have the Exakta VX-IIA that I once owned. I traded it for a Miranda DR with an adapter to take auto Exakta mount lenses. I liked the 90/2.5 Angenieux but the 20 and 25mm East German Zeiss Flektagons were FANTASTIC lenses and the 180/2.8 and 300/4 could certainly hold their own against the competition. Big and heavy, but without the adapters for Exakta or Pentax/Practica they worked on the Pentacon-Six and most other East German 6x6 SLR's of the era. Miranda had the sexiest ads in the business in the 60's. I wonder what they'd be like now if they were still in business...

y'all flock in like flies around something dead when this sort of thing comes up. We loves it.

If there had never been a Leica, my favourite 35mm camera now might be something like a Russian Zenit 3M with non return mirror and pre set lens, because that's about as far as 35mm photography might have advanced by now, or maybe my Rolleiflex TLR digital.

My dad & mom's Contax IIa, which they had the great good sense to buy a year before I was born. After college, I got a Nikon FM (that I still use), which is a whole different beast. But I loved that Contax, and the collapsible Tessar 50. Alas, it was stolen in NYC in 1979,then a mean and dangerous place .

if it ain't a leica, it ain't a camera.

serious, I would probably be happy with my nikon F but only the original F.

Of course at the end I will still get into digital when the film dies...ops, here we go again.