Polarizing Filter use with Fuji (any) Range finder

david_clark10

Hello all, I have just started to use a Fuji GA645 zi. My question is

how do you / can you....use a polarizing filter with it. As you can't

see what effect the filter is having because your not looking

throught the lens? Also what would be a good alternative filter for

more dramatic / darker skies on B&W films - a middle yellow? Cheers

I use Heliopan polarizing filters. These have a scale imprinted on the filter ring. I put

the filter up to my eye and rotate it to find the angle of & degree of polarization I

want. I make a mental note as to what number is on top, mountthe filter on the

camera and rotate the front ring of the filter till that number is on top again.

If you are just looking for darker skies and no glare removal effect, an orange or red

filter will be better for this than a middle yellow.

I really like an orange filter--it darkens blue skies dramatically, but it's not over the

top like a red filter producing black skies. A polarizer is easier to use than you

think--they all have at least one marking. Holding it in front of your eye, rotate it

and note the position of the marking. After putting it on the lens, realign the mark.

Or here's my lazy guy tip. Buy a cheapo scratched used polarizing filter in any size

and make sure the calibration mark lines up with a good polarizer you keep on your

camera. Keep the cheapo polarizer in your pocket and use it to estimate the correct

alignment of the polarizer attached to your lens.

I believe the 645Zi uses a 52mm filter (I had one for a short time but I couldn't stand the vertical-orientation as I mostly shoot horizontals). Buy a 52-77 stepping ring and 77mm polarizer. Using a 3/8" drill bit, drill holes all along the flat part of the stepping ring (between the male and female threads)leaving just enough metal between the holes so that the ring remains structurally sound. With the rig attached to the lens you will be able to see the polarization through the holes while looking through the viewfinder. The bigger problem with the Zi is remembering to make exposure compensation because the metering cell is not TTL.