Which Nikon shopping online?

jason_au

Hello Nikonians,

I am thinking of buying a Nikon DSLR D100 and few lenses online. But I

was suggested to wait till after Jan 2004 because Nikon DSLR price may

drop. So, I wonder if the lenses prices would drop, don't they? But

what about Nikon rebates that ends by Dec 31?

I am aware that B&H and Adorama are good to buy. Unfortunately I am

living in NY. I am trying to save some taxes. So, what about Canoga

Camera? Is it good like B&H and Adorama? Any suggestion would be

appreciated. Thanks.

Jason,

The D100 is a digital camera. The economics of most digital devices are such that the price trends down with time. So, yes, the longer you wait, the less you'll pay for it.

The questions you should ask yourself are: "How long am I willing to wait?" and "How much do I want to pay for a D100?"

In one year, the D100 came down in price by hundreds of dollars. If you wait another year, you might get it for hundreds less. By then, Nikon will have released new technology and new products that will tempt you even more than a D100. And the cycle will repeat itself!

As for saving taxes, B&H has some of the lowest reputable prices around. You can probably find cheaper prices at places with questionable business practices. You can check bizrate.com and pricegrabber.com. You can also do a search on photo.net since it has a section on photo shop recommendations.

Hope this helps,

Rubens.

Digital cameras are like computers. They decline in value as newer, more powerful models appear.<p>Lenses can be used with all Nikon cameras, so there is no reason for their price to drop - until a newer, more powerful model appears! However, old lenses are not useless like old computers. They can still take great pictures, so lenses tend to retain their value.<p>Some of the more exotic lenses such as my beloved 70-180mm macro zoom seem to appear only briefly, and then are dropped as low market demand does not justify production. B&H and Adorama are out of this particular lens.<p>Why look all the way to California? Aren't there retailers in New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, or Vermont that will fit the bill?

Wait a year and the prices *will* drop. And you'll want to wait one more year.

OK, seriously, things may happen in February. You may like the specs of the D70. There may be a replacement for the D100. Or not.

I took the plunge and bought a DSLR yesterday. If it takes good enough pictures now, it will take good enough pictures 3 years from now.

"Aren't there retailers in New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maine, or Vermont that will fit the bill?"

Thank you very much for replying to this thread. I don't mind to buy from these above list states but I would need to know which one is good. I believe Beach Camera is from NJ, right?

I am aware that the digital camera price may drop like computers.

Jean-Baptiste, I doubt the D70 replaces D100. If something replaces D100, it should be D200 or higher.

Douglas, I wish I have a friend in NJ but unfortunately I do not have one. Well, I think it may be troublesome. If I use my friend's address, will Nikon accept to service my equipments if some of them are not working? (knock knock knock wood) I hope all equipments are in good working condition for a long time if I buy.

Seems like Nikon's rebates always start right after the last one ended. I almost bought a lens last year about this time when the double rebates were going on. I procrastinated and sure enough they did expire. The rebate came back but not the double amount.

The list price of lenses probably won't change. DSLR's are another story, of course. The D100 price could change after the first of the year, but it could be Feb, March, who knows. From past experience there's nothing magic about January 1 for prices. I could be wrong.

The only experience I ever had with Canoga was good, but I ended up not buying anything. I needed something the week or so that B&H and Adorama were closed, and bought it online from Canoga. They replied right away that they didn't have it, so I had to keep looking. You also might try Hunt's Photo in Boston.

Canoga has a store in NY so they will charge you tax if it's shipped to NY.

If you wait until xxx to buy the camera then it's that many fewer days that you'll not have the camera to use. Would you rather have the camera or the money? That's the question, not how much will the price drop in xxxx days.

Jason - as someone else said, Samy's in Southern California has the same price as B&H for the D100 -- $1,499.95

http://www.samys.com/

Since they don't have tax nexus in NY, they won't charge you sales tax.

As for waiting / not waiting -- that's really a personal choice, depending on what you need when you need it.

Prices may drop by January 2004, but they may drop again by April 2004, July 2004 .... And then there may be new models "just around the corner." Are you prepared to be waiting forever?

I bought my D100 in August 2002 for $2000 and I knew very well that it would keep dropping. By now a little more than a year later, I have had a lot of nice images from the D100 and have already accumulated some knowledge in digital photography and DSLRs. To me, it is well worth the few hundred dollar difference.

OK Jason, heres' the deal. You have to do some of your own research if you want

things to work out fot you. If you want to buy at Beach Camera, go ahead, but don't

tell us if you don't like the way things go. Below is a link to a list of places to buy that

are reputable, and that support photo.net. They don't charge you any extra for

ordering through photo.net, and photo.net is partially supported by the vendor for

the referral. You have already been given some good advice, now it's time for you to

take care of things.

<http://www.photo.net/equipment/where-to-buy#support>