Rebel and Leica R lenses

tom_brabant

<I>then there will be no more reason for a Leica forum or any forum for that

matter</I><P>

Not so. First do a few searches online (google etc.) and when you can't find what you

are looking for, <U>then</U> ask people on a list. Simple common sense really. It

also saves long time list members the irritation of being asked the same

questions over and over and over again.<P>

Dear Andrew Neimeth (is that it?)--thanks for your help Your referenced URL did not mention the Rebel. If I had pracaticed law for 40 years like your answer to my question, I wouldn't have the money to buy the computer upon which I am writing. Thanks again for nothing.

Andrew has some good info on his site, but he sometimes gets perturbed. ; ) I still remember when he chastised Marc Williams for posting photos that weren't in a download-speedy type. Of course, there are a lot of varying personalities on the forum.

I thought Andrew's initial response was perhaps a little harsh, but I have to join his side as it really is common sense to see if the question / answer has been made available already, regardless of the topic.

And Tom, your response to Andrew I'm pretty sure left most who clicked on the Andrew-supplied link uttering a collective 'whaaat?' and questioning your claimed lawyering skills. Not only does the link deal with the Canon line, which would include the Digital Rebel, but it also specifically DOES talk about the Digital Rebel about half way through the article.

May have thought the tone a little haughty, but Andrew was quite right!

Andrew simply craves covet for his FAQ site. To answer the question, R lenses will work on all Canon's DSLR's with one or two lens exceptions such as the 19mm, though the 300D's short mirror should clear that one. The 280's will work on all of them. They will also work on all Canon EOS film bodies except the Elan7/7E which will not meter accurately with non-EF lenses due to a stupid design flaw. In fact the EOS bodies make a much more user-friendly and reliable platform for R lenses than any R body excluding the Leicaflexes. However not counting the consumer-grade zooms, most if not all EF lenses perform as well and in some cases better than their R counterparts. The 280/4 is a much better performer than the EF 300/4 (IS and non-IS), but it costs as much as the 300/2.8-L-IS which is an equal performer on the bench and a much better performer in practical shooting because of IS.

Are we really turning into such a bad-tempered group? Maybe it would be better if those who are bored by a question which has been asked before to just ignore it, and go on to (for them) more interesting threads.

I for one would be in favor of tolerance. Some people who are quite adept at using Google simply want a live discussion, rather than reading old threads. And there are plenty of people who enjoy sharing their knowledge (Jay, Al) and aren't at all irritated at answering the same question again and again. There are a limited number of them, after all, and often new ideas come up in the course of these discussions.

And in general, why not be polite to one another?

I apologize to all for my comments last night to Andrew. He was right. I should just try all search engines and use a question as a last resort, which is what I will try to do from now on. I was in a hurry for an answer last night for reasons I won't go into. But that's no excuse for my behavior.

One again, I'm sorry.

Tom

I am with Cameron all the way. Confronted with a question such as Tom's, one

has three choices: answer the question and help the guy, ignore the question and go

on with one's life without further ado, or take the time and suffer the hassle of writing

down and sending a nasty remark. Why would anyone choose the latter solution is

beyond me, and tends to make me angry, I confess.

I purchased Stephen Gandy's adapter last month. I have been using my 35 elmarit, 90 summicron and 135 elmarit on the digital Rebel with very good results.

The focusing is a bit difficult because the viewfinder lacks the split screen. However, because the viewfinder is designed for brightness, I find it possible to focus when stopped down up to F8. And I rather enjoy having "real-time" DOF preview. Focussing in this way reminds me of focussing my enlarger; you sort of toggle back and forth until the image feels just right. Also, you might begin to appreciate not having to recompose after focus since you use the entire viewfinder to determine focus rather than some spot in the center.

I also have the Canon 50mm 1.4 and I have to agree with Jay that the Canon glass (at least the higher end) performs as well as the leica on this camera. However, I have noted some slight but nonetheless pleasing differences in the color rendition and (dare I mention) bokeh, especially with the 90 summicron.

At the end of the day, the $175 spent on the adapter saved me at least $800 to $1000 in new Canon glass that I would have splurged on in order to get the most use of this camera before it becomes obsolete. It seemed like a good compromise in order to work with quality digital stuff without yet giving up my film gear.<div>006jSr-15626784.jpg.7965a9e159066b01a50c5414860da0d3.jpg</div>