canon powershot pro1 or the canon EOS digital rebel?

pradeep1

canon has launched 7 of their promised 20 cameras for the year just

before the PMA in a few days. The new powershot Pro1 has an 'L' lens

(28-200mm), now this has a better range than anyone out there buying

a canon rebel with a good lens in this range, and with the pro1 u get

this range for around 1000$, now why would anyone who does not have

any EF lenses already with their film or digital EOS go for the

digital rebel now? what is canons idea behind this? to confuse

consumers more? given a choice what would you go for? the pro1 or the

rebel with good lenses? (assuming u dont have any lenses already)

I wonder how small the pro1 sensor is?? remember, the d1 (mk1) was good because the pixels were big and the sony 8mp is let down by tiny pixels and hence greater noise.

I've got too much tied up in L glass to buy a pro1 but when will they announce the d10 replacement???

hopefully

john :-)

I too would be worried about noise from a tightly-packed sensor. If I were in the market and did not have any Canon glass I would wait and see what the sensor tests produced and go from there.

I suspect a 300D would be a better choice simply because it has a larger sensor.

I wouldn't imagine Canon is too concerned about gutting Digital Rebel sales. Since last Fall, they've sold a *ton* of them. They've probably made back their NRE on the things a long time ago, considering the low manufacturing costs of the units.

Aside from the small-pixel sensor issues, that others have voiced, I'd point out that most folks are familiar with how mediocre 8x-10x zooms can be. Even for as surprisingly good as the Sony F828 lens was, some folks were complaining about excess CA and barrel distortion problems. It just comes with the territory. 'L' glass or not, the image quality through a lens like that is bound to suffer some compared to the more conservative zooms that have only a 3x-4x coverage.

That said, it's still probably pretty good, and perhaps worth every penny (in the current competitive market) that Canon is charging for it.

Just like the Nikon D70, though, folks shouldn't get too excited until some reviews of production units come out, with sample pictures posted.

When I was ready last spring to move up from my most recent P&S digicam, I rejected the Nikon CoolPix 5700, Minolta DiMAGE 7's, etc., because of the electronic viewfinders (EVFs) they use. For that reason alone, I wouldn't be in the market for the Powershot Pro 1, either. The smallish sensor (a 2/3 Type, about half the size of the 10D/300D's, with 28% more pixels!), wide DOF and overambitious range of the zoom lens would further deter me.

Still, there's certainly a market for this product, and it's sure to attract users who want its features and who aren't interested in making the jump to dSLRs. It may cost more than a dRebel body, but it's competitive with the Minolta DiMAGE A1.

The sensor size is 2/3 of the 35mm. That gives the same 1.6 multiplier as 300D. The lens, however, is smaller than lenses for 35mm systems. It might be easier to construct and could actually be very good if it isn't crippled by distortions.

There are drawbacks, though. The PSP1 can pump ISO only up to 400, and even that might be noisy. Somebody explain to me why didn't they just use the 300D sensor and algorithms??? Low noise, high pixel count, and with a high quality low weight lens that would be a no-brainer.

Cool feature (from dpreview):

* Any image shot as JPEG can be instead saved

as RAW by pressing FUNC during record review

Kind of a 'save a poor exposure for later post-processing after the fact' kind of thing. I know I shoot habitually in RAW because (among other things) I don't think I can always nail an exposure on the head, first time, every time. I have other reasons, as well, but a number of folks I've talked to cite this as their number one reason. A feature like this would let you shoot the majority of your shots in JPEG, and as long as you are happy to "chimp" (© Sports Photographers Association 8-) away, you could save the occassional bad exposure from 'JPEG editing hell'.

This would be a fun feature on the Canon DSLR's although there may be a data path problem in the older hardware that might prevent this being implemented in a firmware update.

the other thing that we need to note is the 1.6 cropping factor, today we need a 19mm lens to have an equivalent 28mm on the rebel and 10D, so its high time that canon get out a replacement for the 10D which has a cropping factor far less than the 1.6 today. maybe the 10D mark II is one of the 13 cameras to yet be released this year by canon.

>> why would anyone who does not have any EF lenses already with their film or digital EOS go for the digital rebel now?

Because it's a SLR.

>> what is canons idea behind this? to confuse consumers more?

Possibly but I don't think so. They probably :-)) want to compete with the 828, A1 etc.

>> given a choice what would you go for? the pro1 or the rebel with good lenses? (assuming u dont have any lenses already).

D-rebel. This is a no-brainer for me. I'm a SLR fan.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

Obviously Canon produces and sells whatever there is a market for, and it looks like there is a market for high-end compact digital cameras such as the Sony F828, Nikon Coolpix 8700, Canon Powershot Pro 1, Minolta A2 as well as for cheap DSLRs such as the Canon Digital Rebel (300D), Nikon D70 etc.

<p>You know the differences between these types of cameras. The pros of a compact digital is that it is smaller, has everything in one package, you can use the LCD for composing and movie mode. The pros of a DSLR are a larger sensor, which means lower noise and higher ISO possibilities, interchangeable lenses which make it very versatile, no shutter lag, good optical viewfinder.

<p>I bought a Powershot G3 just over a year ago (December 2002), when it was just introduced. Now you get for the same price an 8 Mpixel camera with an L lens..... wow, that's an incredible progress in just a little more than a year.

hmmm i am just more sure that i will definitely go for an SLR, as Yakim says, an SLR is an SLR, even if u give a compact camera with an L lens in it, its i guess like riding a cruise bike compared to a sports bike :) (doesnt make sense to me when i read that again :)). Any case, i have believed in n-1 technology, and i got the G2 when it sold for half the price it was launched at, guess i will do the same with the digital rebel or the 10D too :) happy shooting.