with a G3 processor. I'm thinking of getting an iBook G4, 14 inch

screen, 1 Ghz and 640 mb RAM for about $2,000. That is my upper

price limit. Basically this will be my field machine for burning

CD's and editing in Photoshop. I know the desktop iMac with 17"

screen will be more powerful, but it is not portable. Are there any

problems with the iMac and Photoshop in terms of speed and image

editing with the small screen? I have never used a laptop before,

but, to me it seems a much better way to archive digital images when

on the road as compared to wallets, portable CD burners etc.

My camera is the Sony 828 - the iBook can save me a fortune in

memory sticks.

why not get a powerbook 12 inch? i think both the 14 inch ibook and the 12 inch screens are the same resolution, so you won't get more working space with the larger screen. plus the powerbook is smaller and is very cool looking.

I have the 12" g4 ibook, and find no real problems with using PS. Of course its slightly

slower than a desktop, but for portability it works.

The thing to keep in mind, is that the screen res of the 14" and the 12" are the same, you

are just paying for a 2" bigger screen.

Def. max the ram, and keep an eye on the transintl website, they are offering 1 gig mem

sticks that will work in the ibook. they are still a little pricey, but from what I have heard,

they work just fine.

an option for you price wise might be to go for the 12" with the bigger hard drive, skip the

ram and buy the 1 gig chip. should be somewhere in the vicinity of 1500 dollars.

Good luck and have fun

Gene,

I have the 800mhz ibook G3 12 in.

While photoshop runs fine on it, the screen quality makes it impossible to edit photos

because the intensity changes so much as you move your head.

I have a friend who has a new powerbook with a larger screen. It is much much better

regarding viewing angles.

I don't know if there is any improvement in the this years model's ibook screens. If

you find the ibook screen is acceptable, I would definately get the larger screen if you

can afford it. I use my ibook really as a portable typewriter, and not a darkroom.

<i> Are there any problems with the iMac and Photoshop in terms of speed and image

editing with the small screen? </i><p>

Not really, but the G4 iBook is limited to only 640MB so if you work on big Photoshop

images with other apps running, that could result in some slowdowns from swapping

virtual RAM pages on the hard drive. (I've got a gig of RAM and am very happy in Photoshop

with my dual-processor Powermac.) <p>

Consider if you really need a laptop. For $1500 you could get a factory refurbished 17" LCD

iMac. If you already have a monitor, you can get a dual-processor 1.8GHz G5 PowerMac (or

a refurbed dual 1.25Ghz G4 for $500 less).

Here are 3 excellent Mac resources to see what others think of these machines, with

user experiences: www.macintouch.com; www.lowendmac.com and

www.xlr8yourmac.com. I agree about the 640 MB memory limit on the iBook and

although I've done plenty of Photoshop on a G3/375 machine, you really need I

believe a minimum of a G4/400 processor to work in Photoshop and OS X. I expect

G4/500 to soon be the minimum for working in OS X. System memory and hard disk

transfer rate are also important. GOOD LUCK.....

I strongly urge you to look at the PowerBook 12"

Why?

1. monitor spanning -- when your'e at home or in the office, you can plug in a DVI

monitor and have that much more desktop space, *not a mirror* of your desktop like the

iBook would give you.

2. more max ram -- over 1 gig available... iBook can take only 640 officially, although

newer chips might raise that

3. G4 chip -- not that big a deal really, despite the buzz... but your Photoshop filter times

will be shorter. The faster bus speed will aid Photoshop too.

4. smaller -- that 14 isn't exactly small... my wife has a 12" iBook and it's about the upper

limit for what I'd want... but that's just me :-)

5. same price, or less -- copied straight from Apple.com:

$1,599.00

12 PowerBook Combo Drive

12.1-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

1GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA/100

NVIDIA GeForce FX

Go 5200 (32MB DDR)

Full size keyboard

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

FireWire 400

AirPort Extreme Ready

Mini-DVI out

I couldn't tell from your message whether this was going to be your main

computer for digital photography, or whether you have another computer & it's

just going to be a carry-around storage device that also lets you burn CDs &

do some on-the-spot editing for the web.

If this would be your main computer for PS & printing, then I can't recommend

the iBook screen (in any size) for PS work.

A PowerBook would work better. An iBook doesn't have as good a hookup for

an external monitor. But f you buy a small PowerBook for portability, you can

also use it with a good monitor for your 'serious work' (the LaCie CRTs are

excellent & cheap).

Or are you mainly looking for an on-the-road storage device? The smallest

iBook will do the job, with 640 or 768 MB memory for PS.

If you don't shoot RAW files, then you could even get by with one of the left-

over G3 iBooks w/ CD burner or Combo drive that have been for sale on the

Apple website for $799. (The hitch is that the PS CS Raw converter won't

work with early versions of OS X - you can't save in 16-bit mode unless you

have Panther, or the last version of Jaguar.)

another option is... 2000 bucks can buy you an awesome windows laptop. plus, you get compatabality with majority of software and hardware, and windows isn't any harder to use. the biggest benefit of OS X is the "COOL FACTOR." the cool factor is very important tho. :D

I have one of the first G4 powerbooks (400Mhz) with 512MB RAM which I use for editing

RAW files from my Canon 300D with no problems. They take a second or two to open,

and filters take a second or two to run on 16 bit PSD images (36MB), but I haven't had any

major problems with speed.

What is more of a concern is trying to judge colours accurately on the screen. Even

though it has been replaced in the last six months, I find the LCD display to be far more

difficult to use than a CRT or even desktop LCD.

I have access to a lot of windowns PC's at the university where I work, but there is a conflict of interest issue if I use them for personal reasons. Just about every PC at our school has been hit hard by virus attacks and it is taking a long time to get them working properly.

I've decided to go to a Mac for my personal work to try and lessen to virus liability. Looks like I'll go with an iMac 20" screen and

1 GB of RAM for home. I liked the idea of the portability of the iBook but the ram limitation and the smaller screen for editing mitigate against its use for my main Photoshop work. I really like the idea of picking up a G3 notebook used and using it for the digital wallet and I'll probably go that route.

Thanks to all who have responded.

<I>Just about every PC at our school has been hit hard by virus attacks</i><P>If you can't screw in light bulbs correctly, must be time to get a different ladder, eh? Gotta love school systems and those gifted administrators.<P>$2k for a G4 laptop is absurd unless you have a guarantee it can be traded in in a year or two for a significant return on value, which it likely won't. Personally, I hate laptops and the 50% hit you take on performance and 400% hit you take on reduced task value per dollar. At the least, check out a used/refurb G4 and get a feel for what an equivelant dollar value will give you in a dedicated desktop system vs the $2000 yuppie toy portable DVD player (did I just mention I hate laptops of any brand?). G5's may be sinister, but dual G4 systems are still a bit evil, in a good way. You might not regret the purchase now, but in a year or two when that G4 tower can meet the task and the iBook can't, well, it's your two grand.

Have definitely decided to go with some sort of Mac desktop for the home, and will look for a used/refurbished notebook for the road. I will be the first to admit - our systems administrators are totally unprepared for whatever comes in through e-mail/internet. And once one machine on campus gets a bug, it's every machine.

I use my I-book to download and burn to CD only I then use my desktop G4 dual to do my PS adjustments. The laptop works great for that purpose but I don't feel that the screen will display the best image especially because a very slight change in angle of view changes the appearance considerably. Also Photoshop takes up a lot of space on the hard drive and is a memory hog to boot.

I hope this helps.

Bob Moon