Well, I need a tripod and I am getting addicted to buying (and

using) quality equipment. It sure seems like a lot of money to spend

on something like a Gitzo tripod and an Arca-Swiss ballhead (or

similar gear). Is this worth it? Do you really need to spend $400 or

$500 on a tripod? Why?

Think about it- you could buy a quality point and shoot or a new

lens to play with at those prices.

Thanks for any advice.

Check the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021BPro, horizontal adjustment for the center post, very sturdy with my Canon 10D and EOS1n plus 300mm f/4 lens

I've hefted the carbon fiber tripods, and they're not THAT much lighter than aluminum, not $300 worth to me

I'm probably missing something, but I also don't see the need for a $200 ballhead

I'd second the 3001 recommendation if you're looking for something light. Just don't make the same newbie mistake I made and assume the "long column" version is better - the extra height ability is more than offset by the long column always getting in the way for shots close to the ground. Get the standard length column.

Seriously though... the 3001 (or anything in its class or even heavier) will be fine. Also, get a sturdy ballhead.

I would aslo recommend is that you do NOT extend the center column.

Or alternatively, remove the column, and pop out the small mount on the opposite end of the column, and insert that mount directly onto the top portion of the legs. Then mount the ballhead directly on that.

Extending the center column makes the rig vulnerable to shake with a slight gust of wind.

I'll add my vote to the Gitzo contingent. You can buy cheaper, but you can't buy better. As for "an Arca-Swiss ballhead (or similar gear)," there are several quality heads for around half the price that will do the job as well. I'm happy with my <a href="http://www.acratech.net/PRODUCTS.HTM">Acratech Ultimate Ballhead</a>, but Linhoff, Leica, and a couple of others also make heads that would serve you well. Search the photo.net tripod threads.

Hi,

Manfrotto or Bogen tripods are good value for money. I have used Manfrotto 190CL extensively and still have it. But now I have purchased a Gitzo 1348 tripod and a Arca B1, which I tend to use frequently now. I think they are well worth. According to bythom.com he mentions the person who is stingy end up paying more at the end. I think I have to accept this fact reluctantly. Get the best tripod you can afford. Also consider the portability.

<i>I'd second the 3001 recommendation if you're looking for something light. Just don't make the same newbie mistake I made and assume the "long column" version is better - the extra height ability is more than offset by the long column always getting in the way for shots close to the ground. Get the standard length column.</i>

There's a used Bogen at the local camera repair shop here. The center column is adjustable and can be removed and replaced upside down. Allowing the camara to suspend below the tripod for shots very close to the ground. I don't have the model number on it. Didn't have the cash for it on Saturday, will pick it up to night and then send you the model number.

Steve

Go for the Manfrotto (Bogen) 3001. The Giotto 1001 Ballhead is very complimentary

with this pod. Add a RRS Quick Release and plate and you'll have a fast, stable, quick

to set up, and affordable setup. I have this that I use with both a Contax G2 system

and a Canon SLR system and it's great. The only caveat is that it doesn't get very tall. I

also have a Gitzo but prefer the Manfrotto. The Gitzo's are very well built but so what,

it doesn't do anything more for you. Gitzo's leg locks and angle adjustments stops are

far more cumbersome to me and I don't care for them.