I am getting a Canon 420EX speedlite, and am looking at a 50/1.8 prime

lens. I know I need a second 35mm body. I'd like to have two types of

film at once, etc... I'm looking at the Elan 7. It seems like a very

nice, high quality body yet it's inside my price range. What do you

guys think? Any other reccomendations? Is the 7e worth the extra

money? What features does the 7 have my Ti doesn't (though I'll

continue to use both, and I don't want a second Ti - for some reason

if I'm going to have two, I want them to be different.) - other than

the obvious like the faster shutter speeds?

Thank you lots!

Mark

The 7 is worth every penny. If you already use a Ti and if you use (or at least

know how to) pretty much all its features, then the Elan 7 is certainly not too

much for you. As for the difference in features, PLEASE compare spec sheets,

they're easily available on the web... Though one thing I'll point out as a clear

upgrade over the Ti is the back scrolling wheel: it's a marvel. It allows you to

change the aperture in M mode while the other dial is dedicated to shutter

speed... so both can be changed using two different fingers and all this is

intercheangebly programmable using custom function. It gives you all the

comfort you need in M and semi-M modes. Very handy.

Also, a custom function leaves the leader out of an exposed film, which allows

mid-roll film change: with a minimal manual work it's the equivalent of the APS

convenience. It's also a great feature to have if you develop your own film.

Back wheel + that specific CF seem to me enough reasons to justify the price

difference over the Ti. For others, check the spec sheet.

I personally own the Elan 7E and LOVE it...but I would suggest instead of purchasing a second body, to instead invest more money in quality lenses.

I know the feeling of wanting to use maybe 10 shots in black and white and then 10 in color...so what I do is I do a mid-roll rewind (feature of the elan 7), leave the tab out, write down what photo i'm on, switch the film, and continue shooting...then put the original roll back in at a later time, advance X number of photos without exposing the film at all (cap on the lens)...problem solved.

Anyway, I love my elan 7e (and yes the eye controlled focus is AWESOME)...I think it is more accurate than manual focusing for me anyway, lock right in on someones eye at f/2 and its a perfect portrait...slightly softened tip of nose and all. So if you are going to get the elan, get the eye controlled focus, it really is great, really fast too, i use it even for sports photography (though some will condemn me for that).

Best of luck.

<P>The Elan 7 is one of the best mid-priced SLRs ever made. ECF works wonderfully for me--much faster than selecting sensors via buttons & dials--but some aren't keen on it. Of course, if you don't like ECF you can turn it off. The obvious advantages of the 7E over the Ti are ECF, onboard flash exposure compensation, faster normal flash sync, custom functions, user selectable AF, drive and meter modes, DEP mode (rather than ADEP) beefer construction and the QCD.</P> <P><A HREF="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/elan7e.htm" TARGET="_blank">If you're interested in the straight poop, read my Elan 7E review. </A></P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Agreed with what has been said, it is a fantastic camera. If you like the Rebel, you will love the elan 7E. Just the way it fits your hand is great, I would buy it for that reason alone. After using it, the Rebel really feels like a toy.

Also, I love the eye control. It comes in very useful for moving objects, even fast ones (I shot a friend figure skating, for example). Although I have used the film rewind function to switch between rolls of color/black and white film in mid-roll, I really prefer to use my Canon F-1 for B/W, and the Elan 7E for color. The F-1 was 90 bucks at a garage sale, built like a tank and doesn't need batteries. But as much has been said about the fit of the F-1 in the hand, it doesn't come close to my Elan 7e. It fits like a second layer of skin.

If you do decide to go with the Elan 7/7e, I would highly recommend the BP-300

battery pack / grip. Once you use it a few times, you will wonder how you lived

without it. The ability to use AA batteries to power the camera as well as the

convenient shutter release make it indispensable (in my opinion). The only caveat is

that it may interfere with tripod mounting in the case of a tripod mount ring for a lens

and a tripod with removable plates.

I got my new Elan 7 last week and I'm very impressed with the construction, and the fact that it feels very precise, smooth and fast in operation.

Having "played" with various Rebels and Elan 7s in stores, it didn't take me much to realize that the way the Elan 7 felt in my hands was worth the price difference (think that Canon charges $600 for the same difference between a Digital Rebel and a 10D and people are still going for the 10D).

The Elan 7 is faster than the Rebel.

Yes, the 7e will be a vast improvement to Rebel/Lite but it will NOT improve your pictures. Spend your time on reading photography books, on a photography course and on shooting (to improve your technique). Spend your money on better lenses. I'd suggest selling your lenses + Lite and get good ones. Try primes. 50/1.8 is great but consider others as well. Canon's 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 85/1.8 USM and 135/2.8 SF are all great optics in relatively low price. THAT will improve your pictures.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

There are about 50bazillion threads on this camera. However I will restate, I recommend the Bp-300 battery pack for the camera, after attaching it, it fits nicely into your hand, plus it takes regular AA batteries and adds a vertical shutter release button.

There are two models the Elan 7 and the Elan 7E, the E is the eye focus control version. I don't use ECF so I saved a few bucks and the the regular Elan 7. If you dont use ECF I recommend doing the same.

I jumped right from my old pentax super program that was a hand-me-down right to the Elan7 & haven't regretted my choice yet. I love it. Mind you I still like my old beater & I can get damned good glass for it dirt cheap. My personal choice right now is to wait off on the digital SLR a while longer & simply build up on my EOS glass until the digital anticip.......ation is killing me.

Yakim is right.

The camera doesn't take the pictures, you do.

Now, having said that, the cost diffence between the Elan and the Rebel is fairly low. I think the real thing to consider is *how the camera feels in your hand*. I looked at film cameras a few years back. To me, the Elan just *felt better*.

Like others, I suggest you try the 7E and see if you like the eye controlled focus. Some hate it. Some like it.

Yakim is also right. Better results will be had with better glass rather than a better body. The primes that were suggested are top notch. The 24-85 and 28-105/3.5-4.5 are quality zooms.