Can anyone point me to a picture on the Net of a Sekonic L-208

mounted on a Leica? (Preferably thread-mount, but M will do.) Like

many others, I'm trying to make up my mind about accesory shoe

meters: Cosina VC vs. Sekonic L-208. I've read many threads, seen a

lot of pictures of the Sekonic meter by itself, noted folks have said

it's bulkier on the camera than the VC meter. But I'm having trouble

visualizing just how bulky it would be on a thread-mount Leica. Can

anyone help with a picture? Thanks.

I have a 208 and a VC meter. While the 208 seem to have the benefit of an incident meter, it is actually not a very user-friendly device since the needle is frequently jammed. Also the meter tends to overexpose.

I prefer to carry a VC plus a 308 for incidence metering.

For meterless Leicas, I'd get a handheld spotmeter if I were you. First, however, learn a few basic ideas of the zone system if you haven't already. IMO, the problem with camera-mounted non-TTL meters like the L-208 and the VC meter is that many times you haven't the slightest clue what it is they're metering, which will somtimes give you an erroneous exposure. With a spot meter, on the other hand, you always know what is being metered. The only mildly difficult part, then, is knowing what to do with the meter reading you get, things like how much you should open up or close down, etc.

Luke- Here's the train of thought that led to my posting above: I have a Sekonic L-398, it works well and I like it. Its only problems are 1) size and 2) lack of low light sensitivity (it's selenium cell) I thought I wanted a Cosina VC, size and sensitivity seem ideal. But while surfing around the Web I became aware of some negative points about workflow with the VC as a shoe-mounted meter, re it can't "hold" a reading while the camera is brought down from eye-level. The L-208 seemed better in this regard, but it's bigger. Lutz Konerman's picture of a VC and a SBOOI on a double adapter notwithstanding, I'm not sure an L-208 and a Russian multi-finder are going to fit together.