have purchased a reasonably mint 503CX and have found that inside the

camera body theres this black spongy, rubbery stuff stuck to the

insides of the box. Am i correct in thinking that this helps in

minimizing stray light?? Also is it normal that the rubbery stuff

has shrinkage cracks all over it and in some places I can see that

the mirror has been brushing against the rubbery stuff. The body

seems to work as normal.

Thanks!

Karl,<br><br>Difficult to say without seeing it, of course, but the cracks you describe are indeed typical for the anti-reflection coating used inside the bodies. And though it's perhaps not the word that i would use for it, i can see how it could be described as spongy.<br>The mirror brushing against it, however, doesn't sound quite right.

Starting with the 503CX Hasselblads have a matte gray-black suede-like material inside them, called "palpas". Leica used the same crap inside their R4-R7 bodies, and yes it shrinks and cracks with age especially if it's subjected to very hot environments such as being kept in a car in the sun for long periods. The good news is that it can be replaced, the bad news is it costs money to do it. Earlier Blads had ribbed surfaces inside the mirror box that were simply painted flat-black. Frankly I can't see where the palpas covering is any more antireflective and my opinion is that it's there more for sound deadening.

Hello,

for about 12 years now, I own a 500 C/M and it also has this palpas material inside. It also cracked and I just had it renewed.

Since the camera was there, they also did a check up and some minor adjustments (mirror-up, shutter, etc.).

The total costs where about Euro 155.- (the palpas material alone was Euro 35.- the rest was labour).

So that's about $ 120.-.

All in all not realy cheap, but it looks brandnew now and if you consider it's $ 10,- per year, it's not a bad deal ;-)