the other "name brand" MFC's. How will this camera hold up over time

and what is the quality of the camera's compared to the others? Is it

a good starter camera for someone getting into MFC's

My understanding is that the Kiev is a Russian copy of an older

Hasselblad (500C?) design. It isn't as finely machined as the

Hassy but might be a good way to start.

The Hassy design is modular: The film back, the body, the view

finder and the lens all fit together but can be interchanged with

different types of backs, finders or different focal length lenses.

Medium format roll film comes in two lengths: 120 and 220. A roll

of 120 lets you get 12 6cm x 6cm exposures per roll, or 15 6x

4.5cm exposures, or 10 6x7cm exposures or 8 6x9cm exposures

or 6 6x12cm exposures or 4 6x17cm exposures. I am not sure if

Kiev makes a 6x 4.5 back (Hasselblad does) but basically this is

a 6x6cm camera.

220 film is twice the length of 120 film. You will need to get a

back designed for which ever length you prefer.

Another advantage of an interchangable back design is the

ability to use a Polaroid back, or if you have more than one film

back, be able to change film types by simply changing backs, or

now (if you have more than (US) $20,000 in you budget) a high

end digital back.

A battered old Hasselblad will be infinately better than a new Kiev any day of the week. If you are looking for a SLR take a look a older Hasselblads 500C or 500CM or Bronica's, but if you really are just starting out in medium format photography why not get a Twin lens camera? you can pick up Rollicords and Mamiya's quite cheaply and you will get a really good grounding in medium format along with excellent results. I started out with a twin lens Mamiyaflex and even though it wasn't expensive it produced some beautiful images.

MF is great to get into, I wish you all the best of luck. Dont be afraid of some of the cameras just because they look old or complicated but I would urge you to think twice before buying a Kiev.

Stuart.

With just about everything in life Demetrius you get what you pay for.

That is not to say that the Kiev cannot be a good camera but don't expect the same reliability as a Hasselblad or any of the other well known MF cameras.

There is really not quality control at the Arsenal factory where the Kievs are made. There are two models, the 88 which looks like the Hasselblad and has interchangeable backs and the 60 which is like a 35mm on steroids. There are many problems with some of these cameras right out of the box. Poor film spacing, incorrect shutter speeds and incorrect light meters.

Having said all that they can be calibrated. I have done a Kiev 60 and it is much more reliable now although the 60's have less faults than the 88's. The lenses are inexpensive and some are actually pretty good. The 60 comes with a Pentacon mount so you can find some excellent Zeiss Jena lenses to fit for a relatively low price.

There is no other camera I know of in MF that you can get a 30mm fisheye lens for under $200?

Demetrius,

First, MF is a fun and exciting format - you will have a great time! Secondly, Kiev's can be had relatively "cheap" in some instances. The lens are pretty good - and readily available. I have one and have had very good luck with it. But I also have a Bronica S2A and a Hassy 500CM and lots of others. No, I am not a collector, although it may appear that way. IMHO, the advice that others offered previously is good. Get a TLR or look into a Hassy 500C or a Bronica S2A.

The TLR's (Mamiya C330's/C220's) are an excellent choice - I have a C330F. The Bronica S2A's are also excellent and the prices for a nice used one is just a little more than that Kiev you may be eyeballing.

Hasselblad... no question - superb. But - it is "limiting" if you are on a budget.

Still more advice... keep checking out the Photo Net web site. It's been my best source of reference to everything I have purchased... except the Kiev. FWIW, best of luck - and get ready for some fun!

Cheers,

Gr

I would purchase the TLR Rollei or quite possibly a Yashica mat. The

Yashica mat has a meter and most of what you need to start. If you then decide you really do appreciate the difference of MFC, then go buy the modular system such as Hasselblad, Mamiya, or Contax. You should be able to pay a fair price for a used Rollei or Yashica, use it for a few months or years, then sell it for what you paid for it.

Best of luck....

• 1 month later...

Mr. Oatis,

Please try the camera for yourself. If you do break into medium format with a used hassy (say a 500 c, which is every bit as idiosyncratic as a kiev on any day of the week), you will have to break a pretty big piggy bank just to buy a used lense of any age. I have been shotting with kievs new and old for years. I am a pro photographer now and I am proud to say that they work great. Of course, I don't treat them like they are red headed step children. I learned the cameras and treat them with care. Of course, since I've upgraded my cameras to the "beefed up" cloth shutters...I've been able to get better "pro" use out of them. The bottom line, make up your own mind and try one. Mike Fourman is a good guy with good prices. There is a kiev lovers club at www.delphi.com for a reason. There are kievs that are great cameras.