ACDSee 6 cause of heavy disk fragmentation ?

I have used ACDSee for years and have not noticed this at all. I have the free version though so that may be the cause or it may not be. I also use this program exclusively for pictures. If i use another program to which i import a picture(s) then i edit it and i use ACDSee to open it outside the program. You also have the function of using ACDSee to go thru your folders using ACDSee, and in doing this i noticed (years ago) that ACDSee creates duplicate jpegs in other areas. I noticed this because when i went to delete pictures i did not want and then used ACDSee to go thru those same folders, the pictures i deleted were still there. I dont use it for that function anymore but i still use it. It is a very good program. This duplicate file(s) that ACDSee creates could be the reason why your disk is highly fragmented but i cannot be sure that is the reason. I would look at how you go about using the program. Just as a side note i do not think pictures will make your drive fragmented, they are not that big. If you are doing ALOT of downloading of very large files or programs that will fragment your PC for sure. Fragmentation is caused by your PC putting bits and peices of a file in an area at the time of download that it thinks it should go. The purpose of this is so it can find it later when you open the file or program. This causes fragmentation because your PC is trying to pack everything so there is no free space. You may know this already but just in case you or someone that reads this does not know that. Good luck with the program.

I would even suggest creating a partition that is used exclusivly on images. Right now I currnently have one of those on each hard drive and am hoping to make them mirror eachother. (The images on one hard drive are right now simply copies from the other).

One thing that was true with Win98 and below, you always had make sure that you didn't install programs to the same partition as your page file. The page file, needed to be in one consecutive clump, at least it was in Win98. If you didn't have one big consectutive open space the computer will run out of virtual memory and freeze. Or it could just run real slow.

I like to have one partition for Windows, one partition for my page file, one partition for images mirrored onto another drive for backup, one partition for programs, and one partition for data (such as downloads and word documents). I can do this because I have an older 30gb HDD and a newer 80gb HDD in my system, giving me 110gb. My image partition on the 30gb is actually a spanned drive. This means that it exists in one partition, but uses the empty space available elsewhere on the drive. This keeps my drives a lot simpler. As soon as I get Partition Magic 8.0 I will do the same to the image partition on my 80gb drive and see if I can keep the two mirrored.

Well, I'm no expert on this whole subject, but do some reasearch for yourself. I'm sure that most people will agree that you should keep your data, OS, and programs on seperate partitons. For lack of knowlege about XP's page file I'm not really sure if you need a seperate partition for it, but it couldn't hurt.

Dan O.

It is indeed a surprise to know that the program creates a duplicate image somehere, no idea of why would this be necessary.

I will upgrade to 6.03 once my ADSL is working, which is currently down due to a faulty network card, so now back to dial-up.

Dan O., while it is definitely a good idea to separate data on a different disk, why would it be necessary to split OS and programs. AFAIK, if your Windows is screwed and needs to be reinstalled, the existing programs will not work with the fresh Windows. You will still need to install all the programs again. Pardon me if I'm wrong.