Minolta SD III/16 bit linear

Okay, he said in frustration ... is it even possible to produce a

decent scan from the SD III using 16 bit linear colour?

Anything I scan as 16-bit linear ends up extremely dark and with a

heavy magenta cast. By the time I've colour-corrected it I can see

visible banding on the screen. I get a better final result doing 8

bit scans.

(No, I'm not using Vuescan. Can't get it to produce anything but a

noise pattern on my system.)

Anyone run into this problem? Solutions? Advice?

you should contintue doing your cc in 16 bit. all my scans are done in 16bit space and never had a problem doing my correction. however you mention banding problem which sounds very much like 8bit limitation. what software do you use for cc'ing ? and what file format are you saving your images in ?

k

I would say no. 16-bit linear does no modification, it doesn't reverse the channels for negative film, it doesn't do the gamma. About the only use for it would be to load it into a version of photoshop which costs more than the scanner itself (you need full 16-bit capability) and modify it to be even remotely useable.

As for Vuescan you may want to give it another try among other things try not cropping and make sure you have the latest version. It's might not be perfect but Ed hamrick seems to update practicly every other week.

f you simply want a finished gamma output, why not use 16 bit, or 8 bit? Am I missing something?

16 bit linear is gamma 1, uncorrect output. It can be used for scan from disk with Vuescan. If you want to experiment with it, it can also be corrected within Photoshop by:

Image|Mode|Assign Profile: Scan Dual3 (posi input) (or something similar)

Image|Mode|Convert to Profile: your regular profile sRGB or whatever

I'd say trouble shoot Vuescan, if you can get it to work, it's worth it. If you've got a license, you can email Ed Hamrick at:

EdHamrick@aol.com

Well, I am experimenting with it, with an eye to determining whether I might get a better result by having all the heavy lifting done in Photoshop, or by letting the scanner software do its thing. i.e. experimenting to see if I can come up with an optimum workflow.

I am assigning it the scanner colour profile when I open it and then converting it to the working space, so simply using the scanner profile does no good.

I could create an artificial profile and open the scans with that but I would still end up with an unusable histogram ... so it appears that 16-bit linear is not going to be part of an optimum workflow.