janvanhove

Hi,

I'm faced with a tough choice...

I want to buy a Hasselblad camera for studio portraits and nudes, but

also for environmental portraits and nudes... (basically i photograph

people...)

Now, I have worked with the 500CM with the 80/2.8 CF lens, and like it

quite a lot. I find the close focus a little too long for my taste,

but with an extension ring, i can go around that limitaion...

The problem I have is that for the same price of a very nice 500CM

outfit, I have found a slightly more worn 2000FCM outfit with the

110/2 lens...

I am leaning towards the 2000FCM for the very nice lens that has not

only one more f-stop of light, but also a closer focusing distance

than the 80/2.8 ...

I already have a few bits and pieces of hasselblad equipement like an

extension ring and a flash grip, but those things work just as well on

both systems...

What do you think ?

Thanks for your enlightement...

Patrick

Patrick,

Just be awre that spare parts for the Hasselblad 2000FCM will no longer be available for the 2000 bodies. The 110mm F2.0 is a very nice lens that can be used on the newer 200 series bodies, but not taking advantage of the sophicated electronic in its. You could only use stop down metering I believe.

Why don't you check with HasselbladUSA about the availability of parts AND repairs for the 2000FM? They will be the best person to ask.

Evan

Thanks for the info on the 2000 parts issue, but at less than half the price of a 201F that has features i don't need (the ttl-flash metering) the 2000 still seems interesting...

And in case of major problems i can still upgrade later to a 200 series body (the in-body metering is a nice feature....) can someone confirm the metering issue with the F lenses and the 200 bodies ? My understanding of it is that the automatic exposure settings will be unavialable but the meter itself should work... right ?

Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick,

I just recently got a 2000FCW to add multi-exposure capability to my kit. From what I have

read, the 110mm f/2 is a great lens, but you need a focal plane body to take advantage of

it. I personally would feel wary of getting a 2000FC or 2000FCM, as parts for these are

getting scarce. You may still want a leaf shutter lens with you focal plane body for all

speed flash syncing, depending on your style, in addition to the 110mm f/2. You may

want to take a look at what the differences of all the 200x/20x series bodies in your price

range and see if they have some feature you may need in the future. For example, the

2000FCW I purchased can take an accessory winder.

Also, I think the shortest tubes don't fit the 2000s because they can't clear the shutter

speed ring.

Taras

Hi Patrick,

I have both. I first bought the 2000 with a F 50, F 80, F 110 and F 150. My thoughts back then: higher shutter speed, one more F-stop, all Hassy lenses, etc. I have always regretted this purchase. I never shoot wide open, never have speeds above 125, do not need all lenses, etc. Above all, the 2000 doesn't feel and sound like a Hassy and I missed flash sync at all shutter speeds. The amount of extra light in the viewfinder is neglectable. Lenses are very heavy (compared to normal lenses) and Hassy makes lenses with shutter that are just as good. The 100 mm planar is at least as good as the F110. 500 CM and 100 will keep his value, the 2000 FCM will not. I do have a 2000 FCM for backup now. So far I haven't needed it. I even had a 205 for a while. I do not know why. I am a 500 man forever. If you want to know more, do not hesitate to email me. Daniel

I have a 2000FC/M (and a 503CW) and would prefer it to a 500 C/M. It's simply a much better body. A good cam should work for a long time. But I can not recommend it for professional (daily) use: Electronics and Shutter are not available any more, you can travel around the world to find some which agrees to work on it. It is now an exceptional camera for amateurs who take care.

I had the 2000 FC & FCM once. Liked the cameras & the lenses (had 80/2.8, 150/2,8 + adapted others myself..) However, my reason for buying them were that they (camera bodies) were VERY INEXPENSIVE & thus acceptable even if they are prone to failiure. Also keep in mind that these cameras is not built to take the massive turnaround as the 500 series (where cameras regularly sess 100000 exp). The interior (i opened one of mine after titan shutter curtain crashed..) is very delicate, and my sweedish repair-man explained to me that the 2000 series were not built for the throughtput as the 500CM/ELM. The 200 is very similar inside (according to him) but with cloth focal plane shutter. I would go for a 2000 FC only if camera body dirth cheap (i.e. around $$ 200 - 300 or so in VERY NICE condition & curtain with no more than very small bounce) and only if I were not doing very high throughput. I sold my 2000 equipment after having a shutter breakdown during an important session (photographing a large regatta of wooden sailboats leaving port), and ended up (after a brief Pentax 6x7 period) with Rollei 6006/6008i. Never regretted that (the well-used rollei 6006 body costed about the same as a 2000 FC body - but have been much more reliable..).

Good luck