Can't access many areas of Photo.net

william_dreskin

I have cookies enabled, WIN XP, AOL, and have no problem accessing

other web sits. But many areas of this site, I get a "done" message

and the page doesn't load or "web site not responding" . I can't

even access the Contact Us section or Learn. I received email from

other users that they are having similar problems with photo.net. Is

this "normal"? Are you planning to improve this in the future?

I'm having those same frustrating problems in accessing, almost every time I come here. Right now for example. Do you mean Norton with NIS?

I don't think it's a good idea to turn my Norton off, as often somebody's knocking my computers backdoor when I come to photo.net. Btw. is it possible that those idiots are there somewhere waiting PN-visitors? Do you have any other ideas or solutions for this problem? I'm fed up with "done's".

Thank you very much for your helping advice. I may have to reconsider the protection. Still it makes me wonder why I don't have these accessing problems always and all the time. For example today I had them only just after having posted a crique request, and for quite a long time, but not anymore. And please, excuse me my limping English - with those idiots I meant those unknowns who always seem to be waiting for me at the photo.net's pages and try to access my computer.. No, I'm not paranoid - attacks are normal and I should just turn off the disturbing Norton's alarming.. Peace

Some of these firewall and security programs will drive you nuts with repeated warnings of "intrusion attempts" that are nothing of the kind, just the normal operation of Internet protocols.

I tried Zone Alarm, and I got tired of telling it which packets were OK. At first it was objecting to practically every packet arriving on my machine -- all of which were totally normal. I suppose if I had been patient enough to continue instructing it, it would eventually have calmed down and filtered out only the evil packets, assuming any ever arrived. I don't know how somebody who was not knowledgable himself about which packets were OK would be able to instruct these programs to behave reasonably.

I have come to believe that the developers of these panicy programs make them this way on purpose as a marketing strategy.

Bob, you apparently suggested turning off Norton Personal Firewall 2003(what is NIS??? - please don't use abbreviations initially) and it did nothing to improve access problems. For example with cookies enabled and Norton Fireqall disabled, I still get "done" message (page won't load properly) when attempting to access Photo.net Learn area. Are you suggesting turning off McAfee anti-virus was well???

I am at a loss what to do other than give up trying to access those various areas of Photo.net.

Just to be clear, it is not that photo.net is "incompatible" with Norton 2003, it is that Norton 2003 is a buggy, broken, disgrace. By rights, Norton's share of the firewall/anti-virus, etc, market should have dropped to zero because of it, especially since there are many competitors, some of which are free. To make matters worse, they didn't own up to the problem publicly and refused to fix it. People shouldn't upgrade; they should get off the Norton boat permanently.

Good morning from Finland - Seems like accessing problems have got something to do with the time of the day, 'cause I don't have them right now, when you are still asleep or just waking up in the USA. But one more thing about NIS - has there been problems with earlier versions of it, or is the problem just this Norton Internet Security 2003?

I think it's just the 2003 version. By all accounts the 2004 version fixes the bugs in the 2003 version - which should have been fixed by Norton for free. Of course you have to pay to get the 2004 version.

We have had no reports of problems with earlier versions either.