How to open up M645 55mm lens?

donald_kim_lewiston

Hi, I previously posted that I had a small speck on the inside of my

front element and that I would like to try and remove it myself. I

unscrewed the circular ring around the lens but I do not know what to

do after that. It looks like I need some type of special tool next.

There are two square holes, the size of a pinhead on opposite ends of

each other.

Thanks,

Donny.

If you want to have your homemade tool slip and gouge the front of the lens by all means...

Sorry I don't know the M645 system well but a wide angle lens has got to be worth enough money for a $50 repair vs. you breaking it and throwing it in the junk pile.

Donny:

If you suspect that you have fungus on an interior surface of a lens, try placing the lens outside and aiming the front element so that the sun shines through the lens. Often, after giving an exposure to sunlight for an hour or so, it can "burn off" the fungus. At a minimum it will kill it and stop it from spreading any futher. if the fungus isn't located in the optical center of the lens and is relatively small, chances are it won't have a significant effect on your images. You might try setting up an 18% grey card and photographing it in direct sunlight at various f stops to see if there are any noticable density differences across the surface of the grey card. If none show up, it probably will not effect image quality. If it does, then I would have the lens professionally cleaned. In the long run, you will be happier and if any damage happens during the cleaning YOU won't be responsible for the replacement! A $40 cleaning is a lot cheaper than acquiring a new lens because you scratched it! Try the test I suggested and then take it from there. Good Luck!