Spots in Hasselblad lens

colm_timmons

I have noticed recently that my CF 80 Planner lens has some small

transparent "spots" on the second inner element. This does not seem

to have effected image quality but I have not enlarged any images to

significant sizes lately. Has anyone seen this before? And what can I

do (if anything) to correct this myself?

Regards,

CT.

Colm,

I had a similar problem with a 150 mm C-Sonnar T* that I bought used a few years ago. When I described the problem to the Hasselblad service technician he suggested that it was probably a fungus, resulting from the lens being used in warm humid climates. Apparently this is a problem that is common enough that it warranted Zeiss to make a special anti-fungus agent for cleaning the surfaces. At the time, the optical performance of the lens did not appear to suffer from this film. However, since the lens also needed shutter service, I did get it cleaned and treated with the anti-fungus product by Lisle-Kelco, the Canadian Hasselblad service agent.

The lens came back spotless. In addition to fungii, oily films can also be a problem. Lenses left in very hot places (e.g. in a car parked in the sun) will sometimes develop an oily film on internal surfaces, presumably because of vaporization of internal lubricants.

Whatever the cause, I do agree with Robin that it is probably not worth worrying about it.

regards, André L.

• 2 months later...

I live in Taiwan and the summers here are very hot and humid. Leaving my 80 Plannar in the bag instead of putting it in my humidity control cabinet (A VERY STRONG RECOMMENDATION!!!), I ended up with some of the same little visitors which came to see you.

My repairman told me not to worry. He told me that if I couldn't see the diaphragm blades or my Uncle Bob, to call him. And, he would give it a good Simonizing.

That, was a year ago and nothing has progressed in the lens and my 16X16s are still sharper than the whiskers on Granny's chin.

I guess it's just a fact of life.

Red Rabbit