Focusing screen

shinden

All the Leica R screens are horribly grainy and coarse as if a piece of silk stocking were stretched over it. The Beattie screens are a great improvement on Rolleiflexes but I tried one once on a Nikon F and it was disappointing. Fortunately one can transplant the great screens from a Nikon F4 into the frame of an F or F2 screen and it'll focus accurately. No such workaround with the R's to my knowledge. The really disgusting thing is if you ever pick up an SL or SL2 and see how bright and easy to focus they are, it will hit home just what a mess Leica made of their reflex system starting with the R3.

You are repeating yourself over and over again, Jay.

Most here know your standpoint by now and there is actually no reason for all these boring repetitions, IMO. Your constant gear- and LEICAbashing is awful and makes owners loving to use their equipment feel inferior ...

I´am using my R7 with delight and even with f4-zooms I have no problems focusing in environments where it is suppose to work. If the screen gets too dark for my work, I change to an f2.8 or f2.0 lens, or to LEICA M. The diopter correction on the R7 makes all the difference to me and allows the use of the camera without glasses.

Can´t do that with the SL2.

Best regards

<<Your constant gear- and LEICAbashing is awful and makes owners loving to use their equipment feel inferior ...

I´am using my R7 with delight>>

Well the guy who started this thread has a serious problem with his R7, Raymond also had trouble with focusing his, so your opinion is in the minority here, and your post doesn't help the guy one iota, even if you feel better now that you've ranted against me.

Ladislav

I am surprised you find it so difficult you can't focus - what lens are you using? I like the microprism center screen only, and I don't have any problems with an 50/f2 with Elpro or 90/2.8. Are you using a Photar or equivalent, or a macro lens plus bellows or something? Even then I am surprised because DOF becomes so that little focussing is still easy however dark it gets.

Robin Smith

Thanks for all the comments so far. It may be that Gary is right and the screen is the older type. I'll check. As I said I find it hard focusing in close-up work and in poor lighting conditions. And for close-up I mostly use 2,8/60 mm makro elmarit. And I like to work fast.

And please don't pick on Jay so much. His voice of dissent is quite refreshing in the sea of the romantic Leica sighs.

Thanks again.

Ladislav

• 2 weeks later...

"His voice of dissent is quite refreshing in the sea of the romantic Leica sighs."

Been on the forum long Ladislav? I wager you will change your mind after 6, no 3, no, 2, no, 1 week of his "helpful" advice. Some of us are not romantics you know but actually use the cameras day in, day out so actually have some experience rather than having just studied the catalogs and the instruction manuals.

Robin Smith