Your pics from a Nikon D100

diana

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?include=all&user_id=873632

Most but not all are with a D100 I purchased beginning of this year. Please note that photo.net file sizes are much much smaller than what you get from the camera. I've found images in RAW mode to contain great detail for my purposes. A good printer is arriving tomorrow, and I'd be happy to let you know how some of these full resolution images turn out.

Overall I'm very happy with the camera. I don't like the long lag after four shots in RAW while the camera writes to the memory card. That's true of all DSLRs to some extent. It's an aspect I'd consider carefully if you are doing work that requires lots of shots in a short period of time.

Mac

would better just to do a no words here but......I have a few examples on my site (below) all the car movement shots (4) were done with a D100 (on a rig) as were the last 2 shots on the gallery page. Very versatile camera and love it, use it instead of polaroid on mf & 5x4 and reckon its paid for iteself already! www.dcppro.com (sorry seems a bit slow tonight must be the server.) If you wanting more specific shots ie people just say.............

On line viewing of any digital photos will be limited to monitor resolution. If your final output will be a monitor then viewing on a monitor is a good choice. I suspect you are most interested in prints which are hard to send by email :)

<p>

I have a D100 and have highly compressed, slightly oversharpened jpegs of manipulated photoshop files from RAW captures on my "vanity" web site (see Utah and Ireland links but all the color images except the ones from asia are from the D100 also.

<p>

It is a very nice and very fun camera. BTW, I never have compared it to others. I had Nikon lenses and film cameras so just added it to my set. What I have seen from Canon DSLRs is just as good.

<p>

<A HREF="http://www.ardingerphoto.com">www.ardingerphoto.com</A>

Regarding this photo:<P>

Photographer Greg Lyon<P>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1881055&size=lg">http://www.photo.net/photo/1881055&size=lg</a><P>

Technical details: Exposure was determined by Histogram.<P>

How do you use the histogram to determine the exposure? <P>

Thanks!<P>

PS: Thanks for sharing links. I hope more will share the links to their D100 photos.

Hi Diana,

I used a manual 200 (AIS) lens for that photo, so the D100 wouldn't meter. So what I did was set the camera in manual mode, guess the aperture and shutter speed, take a picture, then preview it with the histogram option turned on. If the histogram was all bunched down at the left I increased exposure. If it's all bunched to the right I decrease exposure. Take another shot and see if the histogram is nicely placed in the middle of the graph. If i remember correctly the range of values for the shot in question was such that the whole histogram fit comfortably in the usable range of the D100. Since I was shooting in RAW (nef) mode, I placed the histogram more to the right without going all the way to the edge of the graph. It is effectively a bit of + exposure, and allows for more discreet recorded levels to 'play around' with in photoshop, but it can make an image that looks a bit too bright until you manipulate it.

If I'd been shooting in JPG mode I'd have tried to center the Histogram. The nice thing about this is that practically any Manual Focus Nikon lens is usable on the D100 if you're not shooting in rapidly changing light.

I intend to get my 200 ais lens 'chipped' one of these days so it will meter with my D100, but haven't got around to it, and for the way I work it's not too bad using the histogram.

Hope that helps! Happy shooting...

Thanks for the explanation. I have only one series D lens (the annoying 28-200) and to be honest, my best photos so far with the D100 have been with manual focus AI lenses and just guessing at the exposure.

I am considering getting a wide angle D lens someday. Just haven't found the right deal yet.

Off the topic.

Shun. I am glad you posted the sample of 17-35 mm shot. When we had a discussion about distortion, whether 17-35 is better than 18-35?

Yeah, from the picture you showed at 17 mm, I think 18-35 is NOT worse than 17-35 distortion-wise.

Very nice pic and neighborhood!!