Views and ratings

svkamaraju

The "views" seemed to be tallied and updated for an image every "night" - around

3AM EST (never quite tried to pin it down:-)

<p>

So the "view" count will change every 24 hours in a jump.

<p>

Yeah, I too was once disconcerted until I figured out the views was being incremented

once a day to add number of view per last 24 hours.

<p>

The thing I'm not sure about is: What constitutes a view? I'm assuming it is not

incremented when you view a thumbnail in any of the gallery thumbnail displays -

else the view numbers would be stratospheric. I assume the view is incremented

when you click on a single photo and pull up its info.

<p>

Is the "view" incremented when the owner of the image is looking at it to check on

critiques?

Good response Brian, but I can tell you that a "view" count is added every time your image shows up as a thumbnail, small, medium, or large image anywhere on photonet, when accessed by anyone. So don't get too excited by the numbers. This includes any ratings that you might receive. They're only numbers and have no bearing whatsoever on how "great" your image might be.<br>Look for meaningful comments only and <b>always</b> keep in mind that you are competing with more than 1300+ other uploads every day.

Views are the tally from the web logs of the number of times the /photodb/image-display/photo_id=XXXX has been invoked for the photo.

This is used for all displays of the photo, including thumbnails.

There are a total of about 6 million "views" per day across all photos from about 80000 visitors. About 85% of the views are for the smallest size.