Close-ups with 2.8/80mm C lens (Hassy)

brian_turner2

Does anyone know of a decent close-up kit (or filter-like

attachment) that could be used with a Ziess 80mm Planar

(C-type lens). I would like to take close up shots from time to

time, but don't want to have to shell out 2K or more for a different

lens.

I've used +1 close-up kits with TLRs before, and have had great

results depending upon my aperture settings.

Thanks!

Brian,

There are two ways to go. Close up lenses (like filters). The Hasselblad versions are called Proxars. Or you can use extension tubes. Just go to the Hasselblad web site for more information. A bellows is also a possibility but more expensive.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/default.htm

If your lens is the older type C then you'll need bay 50 Proxars. Should be able to find them used or new from B&H.

Proxars are the cheapest way to go and extension tubes are more expensive.

Good luck.

Proxars aren't bad and are reasonably priced, but they aren't numbered in an intuitive manner. They're numbered such that then the lens is set for infinity focus, the actual focal plane will be that many meters in front of the lens. The 2m proxar is "weaker" than the 1m, which is weaker than the .5m

I purchased the 501cm kit with the 80mm cb lens. The first purchase after the kit was a used 21mm extension tube. Macro has never been easier. I also use a proxar .5 but prefer the 21mm tube. I just have to remember I lose one f stop when using the tube. I shoot the 80mm at the same f-stop every time and get sharp, sharp, results with the 21mm tube. The 80mm and 21mm tube will give you the same "look" if you will, as a longer lens. But, the longer lens, by the very physics involved, will give you greater distance from the subject. If you are shooting a model then her personal space is going to be less invaded with a 150+tube or 180+ tube, as opposed to the 80mm+tube.

I would suggest you rent an extension tube and the appropriate lens that meet your needs. Good luck....let me know what you decide...