Large Format Objectives: Photos Please

todd frederick

I have a nice 4x5 camera. I do not use it often. I want to use it

more than I do.

I am wondering this: when you go out to take photographs in LF, what

are your objectives? Do you simpy explore in a random way or do you

have a specific objective/location in mind?

Do you work alone or do you work with other photographers?

I am seeking other LF photographers to work with in my area. I live

in the far south San Francisco Bay Area between San Jose and Monterey.

I often take hikes or wander around and then come back to use the LF

camera.

This question regards how you plan and work with your subject and

your camera.

After all: an LF camera is not something you swing over your shoulder

for candid photos!

Some kind of serious planning is needed.

Any thoughts?

(There is a serious problem with Photo.net....when I finish my question I can not go back to make changes or add other comments...the original content is gone. This is a new problem here).

What I wanted to add is this: Please post some samples of the kinds of photos you enjoy taking with LF with comments to this forum thread.

also, if you live in the San Francisco Bar Area, I enjoy getting out with other LF photographers for day trips.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail. Thanks...Todd

Subject: Response to Large Format Objectives: Photos Please

My objective is to get some pictures that I actually like.

I have been impressed with panoramic wide angle photos that I've seen, and have designed/built/modified camera equipment into a setup I refer to as the Wyder612; which is a 4X5 view camera and 6X12 film holder with full swings and tilts on extreme wide angle lenses.

I live in San Jose' and have been frequenting Point Lobos, Point Bonita, SFO, Pacific Grove and the Marin Headlands in my quest to get something I'd like to put on my wall.

An inquiry post to this forum some time ago seeking LF-friendly camera clubs led me to the conclusion that there aren't any within any reasonable distance of us (either that or no one who knows of one chose to respond to my post).

So... working with other LF photographers is basically a foregone conclusion of "No"... although View Camera Magazine (Nov/Dec issue) refers to a photo event at Point Lobos on April 23 2004 with Gordon Hutchings.

Planning: if you have the slightest interest in seascapes, you MUST check out the www.californiacoastline.org website. YEARS of scouting won't locate the sites you can see in an evening on THAT web page! (That's how I found Point Lobos and Point Bonita -never knew about them before!)

We are fortunate beyond measure in living in one of the most photogenic areas in the world: the Sierra-Nevada mountains, Lake Tahoe, Mojave, Yosemite, San Francisco, Big Sur, Point Lobos, Muir Woods, Los Angeles, Las Vegas... even the Grand Canyon (though that's stretching it a bit); all within range of a weekend road trip.

Hi Todd. I'm in Idaho, or I'd be happy to have a comrade in arms to shoot with. I am a portraitist, so my habits and methods probably have little in common with yours. I don't know any other LF photographers, so it's usually just me and whoever will be on the other side of the camera. I usually have an idea of what I can expect fromm the location I've chosen. I walk around with my subject, and try to get them to talk about something they're interested in while I listen. As I walk and listen there are a couple of things going on. First, I'm getting a sense of my subject if I don't already know them well, which I usually do, and second, I'm looking for an existing studio. By that I mean a location with all of the elements of a studio. I usually start by looking for a light source opposite a dark background, like the wall of a building, or a fence, or a rock face. I maneuver my subject between the light and the background and assess the lighting while looking for modifiers like trees or the edge of a building's shadow. When I'm satisfied with the quality of the light, I'll take a reading. If there is enough light, I'll set up my gear and make a few exposures. Generally, I don't make more than a couple of filmholders worth of exposures at any one location. After a few exposures I pack up and continue as before until I find another location, or I'm ready to call it quits. IN this way I've identified a number of existing "studios" in my area where I can consistently find good light and a variety of backgrounds. When I'm short of time, or when it's critical that I get a good shot, I return to one of these locations, and when I have the time and leisure, I enjoy uncharted territory. All of the work in my portfolio here was done in this way. So I'd say my outings have planned elements while allowing for serendipity.<div>006hQ0-15576884.thumb.jpg.e81661bf7362eb3a6edb24079714f966.jpg</div>

Todd,

I almost always have an idea of what I'm looking for when I take my 4x5 out. Usually it is a location I've prescouted... although I'm not shy about putting my gear in a pack, my tripod over my shoulder and going for a walk :)

In general I've found having a project or two has been very helpful to my photography. It not only guides what I shoot but how I shoot, process and print.

Cheers,

Ian<div>006hQR-15577084.jpg.c64336c5c0a854d415395525facd18b2.jpg</div>

Usually I have a particular subject in mind although ocassionally I will pack up my gear and just go looking for good light. I have a trail that runs by my house that offers several opportunities and I am not far from the coast and I like shooting there as well. I would like to work with other photographers but I have only ever done that at workshops.<div>006hV9-15580684.jpg.4b03009d01ef2587c54b96c7469bded5.jpg</div>

hi todd:

sometimes i just drive / walk around with a speed graphic and if something hits me, i

shoot it. other times it is kind of planned. if i am doing workplace portraits or

something like that - i kind of introduce myself, look around the place, and return

with my rig a few days later. most the the time it is nothing more than a speed

graphic with 127 tominon or a 90mm super angulon and a lumedyne flash.

i think i have gone on safari with someone maybe once or twice. it was kind of fun,

but haven't done it in 13 years :)<div>006hXJ-15582584.jpeg.fa338eef4025c68c34bcb11746ff32b2.jpeg</div>

Nowdays my photographic excursions take on a planned nature as to going

to one specific area to take pictures of say botanicals. Other times it's

coastline or downtown stuff. I think what is more important than just placing a

nice photo on the wall, even tho that in itself is fulfilling, is to plan a project

taking pictures of say old barns, tractors, or anything of a like nature. In that

way you can produce a calender for Christmas giveaways or eventually a

book like Sandy King does. I think working towards more than just a picture

on a wall is a good thing.. (Martha-ism)

Everyone's technique varies of course, but I hardly ever "just wander" I am always looking for special light, clouds etc. So when the conditions are right I go straight for the "good spots" that I have pre-scouted.<P>

About a year ago a couple of us setup a LF group in the Bay area. It started off well with a good turnout but quickly died out. A few of us would still be interested in going on outings, maybe with some new blood we could get it going again.<P>

You can join by sending email to:<BR>

LF_Photo_Bay_Area-subscribe@yahoogroups.com<P>

<A HREF="www.rwhawkins.com">RW Hawkins</A>

What's all this "pre-scouting" (something like that bogus pre-visualisation, or pre-digesting your marmite on toast?)

Let me get this right. You pre-scout something out. That means you then later have to scout it out at some point before you actually go and photogoraph it...

No - I think you scout it out (just the same as you visualise something, not pre-visualise it).

Hi Todd welcome to your favorite activity to be. If you have found your way to

this forum you are already off to a good start. However a few words of

caution are needed at this juncture. Whilst this forum and other like it are

wonderful and invaluable sources of info. be warned that a great deal of the

input (read threads) are merely soap boxes for people who must either tout

the results of overdrawn efforts at some questionable technique or more

often as posters to announce the ownership of a particular peice of gear. If

you must rely on the opinions of strangers and at this point you have no other

choice, then be sure to research as many as time will afford. LF is an activity

reminiscent of alchemy we are all trying in some way to turn lead (or silver) in

to gold (or Pt/Pd) and as their are so many different variable to contend with

and master, we are inherently promised lifetimes of discovery and hope. And

then there is all that coveting, the secret brotherhoods of this process or that

choice of material, the holy grail of lenses, the format snobbery...etc.,etc. So

beware come here to get what you need but don't leave with yet another

morrocan carpet. Regardless of techniques decide whether you want to make

pleasing images or simply pleasing renderings (read great tonal

scale,gorgious blacks, shimmerings highlights ,good sharpness local contrast

BLAH BLAH.BLAH but boring image!). Don't forget why you started this

endeaver, to strive to make great images. As far as planning your shoots it is

wise to prepare for local conditions but try to work with what is there rather

than trying bring your preconceived image to the location, "try to look at and

not for". Keep your options open by not looking for that Weston, Bullock,

Ryuije shot or you will veil your sight. This should also free you up to come

across an image. As an excercise go out with one lens only and maybe six

sheets of film but don;t necessarily look for images you think will be best

served by the focal length you have chosen, you will be pleasantly surprised

by how often the 'other' perspective is the better. I quiet mind is also an

asset, my advice, go it alone where safety permits. Good light to you

Todd,

While not in the Bay Area, we here in Sacramento have a great resource for photography. It is called the Sacramento Valley Photographic Arts Center. The web site is http://viewpointgallery.crosswinds.net/ There a re a large number of Large Format photographers within the group, and we do have group photographic outings. We are also very fortunate to have a dedicated Gallery Space (Viewpoint Gallery). Presently we are showing Ansel Adams's Portfolio #5 along with portraits made of Ansel.

You will find that we all work differently... it is fun in a group and I do gout shooting with some of my LF and MF friends... but I also enjoy shooting by myself.

Good Luck!

Steve<div>006iMp-15604984.thumb.jpg.9d6622029f86a0cfc3cf491acb177e1f.jpg</div>

Julian forgot to warn you about people who seek to distinguish themselves by

belittling the contributions of others to these forums, and by association, the

forums themselves.

My intentions were not to take pot shots at the threads themselves...yes this

would be very undistinguished, or the forum for that matter but rather to offer a

cautionary word on keeping the course when entering a forum as engaging

as this one. If I have made you feel belittled or slighted in any way, my

deepest and most sincere appologies.

And good light to you too :)