Template for IIIf film leader

john_boyle3

Just acquired a IIIf RD similar to my first Leica of 40 years ago. A

search concerning loading film on the old Leicas seems to favor

cutting the leader, preferably using the ABLON template. I just

loaded the camera using the instructions from Ozdoba, but would like

to find the template. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are several sites with info on cutting the leaders, one of which is here:

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/marine/569/rusrngfdrs/leicaleader.html

Another thread on this topic: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=002m5u

Personally, I've never cut my film with my Leica LTMs, but I usually just wind the film it onto the takeup spool so that the leader is already wound past the sprokets. This way, I waste maybe 1-2 frames, but it's much easier than worrying about film chips or cutting the leader. IMO, the ABLON template isn't worth it's inflated cost. You could always make one though, if you're really anal about it.

I thought I remembered that someone in Japan was making reproduction templates, but I haven't searched for it. Check the archives here or search the LUG (Leica Users Group) archives.

John;

The templates can usually be found on e-bay in the $100 range. If you don't see one, just be patient because they appear regularly. When I had my IIIf I used to cut my film with scissors, but without a template, by simply angling the cut for about four inches up the film from the end. Works just fine. Never had a problem with loading. Enjoy your camera.

Dennis

I've seen multiple listings of reproduction ABLON's on eBay. I'm surprised Abrahamsson doesn't make them, he's got the machining and the knowhow.

Until you get one, pick up a pair of curved cuticle/manicure scissors at the drugstore (or chemists if you live in the UK), face the curve one way to go from the half-width to full-width and turn the scissors around to curve the top of the full width, making sure not to leave an open sprocket hole.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a collector and won't be looking for the ABLON on eBay. The trim on the first film seems to have worked, but I'll try Skip's method with the next one.

I took a lot of fine pictures with my first IIIf, which was inherited from my father. Unfortunately it was stolen from my sister while I was in the US Army during the Vietnam war. I picked this one up for nostalgic reasons, but it won't replace my M2 and M4.

Jay - thanks for the suggestion re. the curved sissors. Should be easier than the ones I used. BTW, I'm in Ontario, Canada.

I have two RD's and load them using a thin plastic wallet calendar. First you slip the plastic card into the back of the camera and then place the film between the card and the back wall of the camera, making sure you have wound the film onto the take-up spool past the leader. Remove the card and the film sprockets will engage the teeth on the sprocket wheel. If not, wind the advance knob until they do engage. There is no need to trim the film using this method.

• 1 month later...