pelayo_duarte

Hello,i would like to buy a medium format camera, and i'm thinking of

a 6x7 format, (my enlarger does not support more), but i need a

camera with shifts for good architectural & landscape photography,

just like a large format Sinar but a little smaller and more

portable. I would like to know if there's any Linhof model with these

features. If there is, is it worth it? (There's no Linhof dealer in

my country)

I think any Linhof Baby Technika (III, IV, V, Master) as well as the 70 and the Press all are capable of accepting 6x7 film backs. If I remember correctly, these backs are NOT compatible with the standard Graflock back. Also, any 4x5 Technika can take a Graflock (4x5) standard roll film holder. You also may want to check out the various Horseman models, which tend to be cheaper (but admittedly not as well built).

Pelayo,

Linhof 2X3 Super Technika V, Horseman VH and the other cameras 6X7, 6X9cm :

http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class

Revolving back of Linhof 23 Super Technica V accepts standard 6x9cm (2x3") cut film holders, Linhof Super Rollex(6x6, 6x7, 6x9cm for 120 size rollfilm and 6x7cm for 220 size rollfilm), Linhof Cine Rollex (70mm roll film) and Linhof 23 Polaroid film back #001666, this camera does not accept Graphic-style(or Horseman/Mamiya RB) type backs.

I have own and use this Linhof (last version Vb) and complete outfit of lenses, backs, & accessories. Please, any questions.

Good luck,

If you want a medium format view camera for use in the field, my strong recommendation is a Horseman VH or VHR. Although the Linhoffs rule for 4 x 5 metal field cameras, I think the Horsemans are at least head to head in the competition for the medium format view cameras, and they are significantly less expensive. The Horseman backs, which, by the way, may have as much or more effect on image sharpness than your lens selection due to film flatness issues, are very nice and are significantly less expensive than the incredibly overpriced Linhoff roll film backs. Horseman roll film backs are pretty much the standard (used by all manufacturers except Linhoff) for the view camera market. The one limitation to consider carefully with any medium format view camera is what is the shortest wide angle you can use? This is an issue because you need to have a focusing rail that allows you to get the lens close enough to the film/ground glass plane to be able to focus at infinity. For the medium format monorails (i.e. Linhoff TK23, Arca Swiss 6 x 9 [reputed to be fantastic]) there do not appear to be significant wide angle limitations. However, for the field cameras, i.e. the Horseman and Baby Technika, you have to look carefully at this issue. I use a 58 mm SuperAngulon XL on my Horseman VH on an aftermarket recessed lensboard with a 6 cm x 9 cm back and have access to a full range of movements. That's about a 24 mm lens equivalent for the 35 mm format. (If you're using a 6cm x 7 cm back, then it's probably closer to a 27 mm or 28 mm equivalent.) I think you could also use a 55 mm Grandagon on the same board, but you'd have less rise because the flange distance on the Grandagon is significantly shorter than on the 58 mm XL. I don't think the Baby Technikas, at least not the reasonably priced used ones, will let you use lenses shorter than 65 mm -- but if I'm wrong I expect Bob Solomon will correct me. The Tecknika 2000 (a bigger 4 x 5 camera) has a second focusing track inside the camera body that allows the use of very short lenses -- but it's a much bigger and heavier camera. The most flexible medium format field cameras in my opinion are the Ebony models. They're made in Japan and can be bought from Badger Graphic Sales. They're wood, but reputed to be the real Rolls Royce of medium format view cameras. They're not cheap, but I've never heard from anyone who uses one who didn't absolutely love it. They allow for an extremely wide range of lenses -- one of their models allows use of lenses from 35 mm - 720 mm telephoto! They all weight 4 lbs or less as I recall. If you get an Ebony, please write me to tell me if it meets your expectations. I love my Horseman, but find the lens choice flexibility of the Ebonies very enticing.

Linhof Technikardan S 23 (6x9) is a nice small camera of immaculate finish with a wide amount of camera movements (tilt and shift)(by far more of any other 6x9 camera on market, maybe with the exception of Arca Swiss 23). It's IDEAL for architectural and landscape photography and you can use it with the RAPID ROLLEX 23 rollfilm magazine. This is a slide-in rollfilm holder for 6x9 cameras providing 10 exposures 6x7 on a roll of 120 film. It's a slim holder that slides easily under the groundglass spring back. So the operation is really simple and quick and you don't need to remove the grounglass back.

Linhof 679 is an excellent camera but it's a studio tool and especially conceived for digital photography. If your interest is photography on location, Technikardan is far better.

Of course Linhof is expensive, but quality is really good and maintain is value along the time.

More information in www.linhof.de

Two other camerasto consider:<P>

<B>The Arca-Swiss 69FC monorail</B>. Like the Linhof TK23s it

is a superb monorail view camera and is easily convertable from

6x9cm to 4x5, 5x7 or even 8x10. Very solid and very user

friendly.<P>

<B>The Fuji GX680 III</B>. This is a 6x8cm SLR with

interchangable backs with a full range of front standard

movements. Think of it as a more versatile Mamiya RZ67II with a

built in motor drive. Not small and not light, but versatile.

• 1 month later...
Linhof 2x3 model IV, Va or Vb will be the best. There are small and portable (e.g. the Study only weight below 3 pounds). I would suggest you looking for a "Study model V". With this model you can use the current accessories like lens board.... Althrough the camera take 6x7 but it also takes 6x9 format which is much better for landscape. I have all the model of this camera, email with your questions. You can check with Midwest Photo Exchange for update price.

• 3 months later...