D70 really better than D100? + D70 vs Canon 10D

magnus2

The disadvantages of D70 compared to D100 are:

1. No Mirror LockUp

2. Vertical Handgrip (not really sure whats da difference)

3. ISO (D70 goes to ISO200 while D100 goes to ISO100)

4. D100 has a metal body while D70 has a plastic body

Other than that it seems that D70 beats D100 in most stuff - I guess

the REAL big issue here is the Mirror Lock-Up. Is there anything

else I am missing? Cuz if you are not into macro or heavily user of

telephoto than it doesnt make that much of a difference.

I have a another question, it seems Canon 10D is better than D70 but

if you got three Nikon lenses would one really go for Canon 10D

instead of D70?

Lastly, where has all the talk regarding "the camera is just a

lighthouse and the lens and photographer makes the picture"? or is

that just an illusion I have heard somewhere :)

the D100 cant do ISO 100, the lowest it will do is 200, just like the D70

yes no mirror lock up will be annoying to some, also it has a Pentamirrir instead of a pentaprism like the D100 has, i beleive it has a slower AF drive as well, and the build is plastic but that is really a personal issue.

<i>"the camera is just a lighthouse and the lens and photographer makes the picture"? or is that just an illusion</i>

<p><p>

With due credit to pnetter Tim Van Der Weert, who posted this image on the Leica forum...<div>007Mts-16603284.jpg.8ea75241d7f3ee8de01833f39bca253a.jpg</div>

Not sure if a system change would be worthwhile to you, but in answer to your question regarding the 10D, the 10D basically combines the advantages of the D70 and the advantages of the D100 into one body, plus adds some advantages of its own.

<p>

What you get with a 10D:<br>

1. Pentaprism viewfinder (D100 advantage)<br>

2. Mirror lock (D100 advantage, although the D100's mirror lock is actually a mirror pre-fire while the 10D offers true mirror lock up plus pre-fire)<br>

3. Vertical grip (D100 advantage)<br>

4. Cable release (D100 advantage) <br>

5. Larger buffer (D100- 4 RAW or 6 JPEG, D70- 4 RAW or 12 JPEG, 10D- 9 RAW or 9 JPEG)<br>

6. FP High Speed Sync flash (D70 advantage)<br>

7. Wireless TTL flash compatibility (D70 advantage)<br>

8. FV Flash Value lock (D70 advantage)<br>

9. Auto image rotation (D70 advantage)<br>

10. Embedded RAW+JPEG (D70 advantage)<br>

11. Metal magnesium body (10D only)<br>

12. PC sync (10D only)<br>

13. ISO 100 (10D only)<br>

14. CMOS sensor (10D only)<br>

<p>

Of course, one advantage the D70 has is its price. I haven't heard anything about a 10D or D100 price drop yet. Also, the D70 has a 1/8000s max shutter speed and a 1/500s max flash sync speed. But regardless of what you choose, you should at least wait to see the image samples from the D70 before choosing. And see how the prices shake out for these three cameras.

I suppose the release of D70 will happen of the conference in Las Vegas - but how long time will it take before the prices of other cameras like D100 or canon 10D will change? Cuz it wont happen immediately - I guess it depends of the success of D70. But if one would dare to estimate .... 1-2months or more before a possible price-war can start?

If you want <a href=http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm>Ken Rockwell's opinion</a> it is a much better camera. Somebody on this forum mentioned that they had prepaid for one, and were advised to take delivery on March 16th. If this is true, Nikon may have learned their lesson regarding long lead times between announcement of product and availability.

Ken Rockwell wrote about the D70: "This standard sensor gives a 1.5x crop factor compared to the obsolete 24 x 36mm 35mm film aperture."

"Obsolete" 24 x 36? Hello? What on Earth does that actually mean?

I guess he was so excited by this (apparently) awesome camera that he let his language go a bit loose.

Ken can be forgiven for his "obsolete full-frame" remark; if you check out his home page, you'll see that he obviously likes to shoot long, so he's understandably a crop-factor enthusiast.

He's also an unapologetic Nikon fan, and by all accounts, quite a "jolly" fellow, so unbridled enthusiasm and a bit of hyperbole goes with the territory.

If the images are 'good' then there's lots of reason to be happy for Nikon users. I don't think somebody is going to sell Canon and buy D70. At least for those who wanted to buy a nice digital body for the Nikon lenses, this is really worth. 1/500 sync speed, RGB meter, secondary buffer (Still have no idea how it's going to improve the RAW shooting) and the price are attractive things about D70 over D100. I'm still waiting to see the image quality of the real production camera. From the sample images I guess the colors out of camera are better than D100. (may be 10D too). But that's supposed to be like that because most of the lower end users want the result out of camera rather than paly with photoshop. I'm one of them :) <br>

Happy shooting <br><br><a href="http://www.color-pictures.com" target="w-2">Color-pictures.com</a>