LTM lens action

s._c.

I recently have become interested in older leicas, however I don't

know too much about them other than what I've been seeing on the

internet. My question: when turning the lens focus by the tab, are

you supposed to be able to see the large threads behind the first

beveled disc (and see some brassing)?

If this is the Elmar, the lens kind of unscrews when you focus. There is a stop (post)that prevents you from completly unscrewing the glass section. BTW if the focusing on these lenses is stiff just unscrew the post and unscrew the front part of the lens. First clean the threads and re-lube.

Thanks for your responses. Have any of you started with a screw mount copy before getting the real deal? I saw some cheap copies at "russian souveniers" and I thought that if the action is similar and I don't mind using it, then I may look into "real ones." I already own a yashica gsn, canonet gIII 17, himatic f, rollei 35 se and other heavier slrs and 4x5. Sorry if I offend anyone by mentioning leica copies. I just don't have the opportunity to try one out and didn't want to put considerable money into it yet (27 cameras now). Thanks again.

The Russian screwmount cameras are not compatible with most non-Russian screwmount telephotos. This is because they don't have a wheel on the end of the RF lever. So you won't be able to use most Leica, Canon, or Nikon LTM tele's. (Any lens that don't have a full ring on the back that moves in and out as you focus.) On the other hand, these aren't the most important lenses on LTM cameras.

They also have really spotty quality control, and reliability issues. Best for someone who wants to learn how to repair their own. (There are several websites on that topic, necessity being the mother...)

For economical screw mount, the more common bottom-load/knob-wind Canon's can be a little more affordable than Leica. I got a Canon IIF, with 35/2.8, 50/1.8, 100/3.5, and 135/3.5 Canon lenses for less than $400 on eBay. (This was an unusually good deal due to a new seller.)

The Canons have a single-window combined range/view-finder, with three magnification settings (50mm view, 1X, and 1.5X). Avoid the low-production models preferred by the collectors, and the prices are somewhat lower than Leica IIIa, IIIb, and IIIc. The Canon IIB, IIF, and IVSb are the most common. They are cheaper if the chrome is blistering, or the trim ring is missing around the RF window, neither of which make any functional difference.

The biggest downside is that if you buy Canon RF lenses, several use a very unusual 40mm filter thread, making it hard to source filters and hoods.

For any LTM camera with a cloth shutter curtain, don't be surprised if it needs new curtains due to pinholes or worse problems. But after that CLA, you'll be golden for a long time.