Graflock back on a super 23

benoit_vollmer

Hello,

I am a French photographer, and a few days ago I bought on ebay a

Mamiya Press super 23 with Graflock back and a 6*7 graphic film

holder.

As this is the first medium format camera I buy, i am not very aware

of the different backs that exist for this camera.

So my question is: does this film holder use rollfilm? If not, what

should I buy, and what kind of back that fits this camera provide the

better film flatness (I would like to shoot 6*6 and 6*7, maybe 6*9

later). Is it also possible to attach a ground glass back that would

fit this camera?

thank you very much for your answers,

Benoît

The Graflock is not exactly a film holder. It is the part that holds the film holder. Your 6x7 film holder takes cut (sheet) film, not rollfilm. The film holder must be loaded in the darkroom. When ready to take a picture, you slide the film holder into the Graflok back. With the shutter closed, you then draw out the darkslide; click the shutter; and replace the slide. Then you can flip the holder to the other side (they take a sheet of film on each side) and do the same thing to expose the other film.

I don't know about using a rollfilm holder with a Graflok. I haven't personally done it. But people do use 6x9 rollfilm holders. I just can't remember if there is some way to get the Graflok's ground glass out of the way to install the rollfim holder. Someone else will know that part.

Sure, your Mamiya can take Graphlex backs and Mamiya backs. You simply need the

correct adapter. There is a "G" adapter and a "M" adapter. What you want to do is to only

use Mamiya Rollfilm backs. This is because you will get better quality as these backs hold

the film flatter. There is also a ground glass available for the Mamiya back set-up. If you

do a search on www.google.com for Mamiya Super 23, you will find pictures and a long list

of accessories. You can also use Mamiya RB backs.

The roll film holders for these older models are going up in price just as the cost of the cameras is going down. I use some of the lever model RH series Graflex Graflok RH___ roll backs and don't find them too bad as far as film flatness. Graflex improved the large rollers on the lever wind models to help flatten the film some. Of course if you leave them in long enough they will take a set. Right now,they are likely the lowest price option for a variety of sizes to play with. Check to see if the Horseman brand backs will fit, I don't think so. Graflok became a useful standard. Try shooting before you hunt further..And search this forum for past threads that apply too.

Apologies to Timber if he knows something I don't, but only the universal will give the option of interchangeable adapters between M and G backs. With the super 23 what you have is what you got.

Does your holder take rollfilm? That depends on your English translation, but taken literally, no, but by now you will have sorted that out.

According to real photographers, unlike myself, Mamiya M rollfilm holders give better film flatness. Also I don't recall seeing 6x9 in Graflock.

Another issue with Graphlok system is scarcity of accessories such as magnifying viewers and various follfilm holders available.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you very much for all your answers. I received my camera a few days ago and it does accepts 120 rollfilm, working perfectly.

I would like to use the bellows, so i am going to by a ground glass screen. But i think that the ground glass screens that fit regular MaMiya Press Backs "the "M" backs" won't be adaptable to this Graflok back.

So could you please tell me what kind of ground glass screen I should use, and is it easy to find on ebay?

Thank you,

Benoît

• 3 years later...
  • 11 years later...

Graflex Roller Installation

i have a mattescreen on my super 23. its the original slip in. but the M-counter-part with fresnel are much better but cannot be used.

there is a discussion about fresnel/no-fresnel-focussing somewhere.

I have the G since i can use RB67/70-vaccumn-back. i have a vermeercamera-conversion to use also 120/220/longroll 61.5mm on donor-side only.

70 and 120 etc. on donorside. xkaes at aol dot com or google filmslitters can deliver any filmcutter. its better to cut 70mm perforated only on one side(1 blade 70/120-cutter) since backs need perforation to calculate the right movement. What is the right term for that? cogwheel-mechanism is doing that. Graflex RH-50 has no cogwheel.

BTW: I bought both MUP 67/220 vaccum-backs which were on ebay. can now compare with the Mamiya. in my opinion its wrong design. wrong pattern at wrong place with too big holes. one of them has a cross-channel with central hole. similar like in contax RTS III with three channels. how it the shape in Contax 645?

Tony Sansone one gave me deep informations about the MUP/S23-system. one is about which M-backs are better flatness-like. He told version 2 and explained why. but it was not at all clear why. will ask him again.

--------------------

I have actually a 3D-printed MUP-like G-cam: Goodman Zone Z-1 . 90mm fixed with G-back. i dont trust quality of the lens have seen the difference between the 100 collapsible and 150mm blue. like day and night at least in viewfinder fully open.

now searching for a groundglass. i think someone in sweden can make it.

90mm lens mounted the wrong way. focus-dot at 5 o-clock ok for verticals but not horizontals.