Why do I want a Nikon F 100 and not a Canon EOS 3?

geoffpowers

All you're going to get is Nikon and Canon users extolling the virtues of their respective camera systems. The fact is there are some areas in which one systeme has a slight adavantage over the other. The fact that both systems are so ubiquitous amongst pros should tell you that either system will probably fit your needs quite well. I suggest you do some research and hands on comparisons. You might even think of renting.

The best part about Nikon and Canon is that they both exist...we all benefit from the competition.

This might not be the most useful of answers but I do know this.

The f100 is an amazing camera. Its well made and feels like a camera should. And a point that too many people miss, the eyepoint.

It has a really good eyepoint, its so nice not to have to force your eye in the camera just to see what you are taking a picture of.

I have used the eos3 too and in my opinion the f100 feels a lot better.

Feature wise i really dont think that there is much between them

As we always say, you don't buy a camera; you buy into a camera system. What kind of subjects do you shoot? Consider DSLR offerings from each brand and the lenses available for growth potentials. For example, Canon has more IS lenses and has several tilt-shift lenses. Nikon will soon have a very attractive but expensive 200-400mm/4 AF-S. Do these choices make any difference to you?

Geoff,

I seriously doubt that one system has any real advantage over the other. The market forces competing companies to at least keep up with each other or lose customers.

But you have to look at the whole system when choosing, what equipment do I want to add, lenses, flashes, going digital body, etc. If price is an issue, one brand might have an edge over the other when it comes to what you want.

My suggestion is to do what I did when choosing between the F80 and EOS 30/33, go to the store and try them out. I stood there with the clerk for perhaps an hour just looking at them and handling them. I left there without buying but a month later or so I came back and picked the F80. I liked it more, it's viewfinder was easier for me to use with glasses and i liked the layout of the controls, ie it fit *me*. Two of friends have the EOS system and I think it is a great camera system. I am sure that I would like it too, but I have not regretted my choise and don't think I will.

A decent store will understand what you are having trouble deciding between. One of my local stores are really nice. I was told of a guy having trouble deciding between the Nikon 70-300mm G and the 70-300mm ED. These are cheap lenses and the guy was not a pro, but he wanted to know if the price/performance difference mattered to him. They let him borrow one of each and he went around town shooting pictures with them, each motive shot with both lenses, and developed them at the store. Then he chose. Perhaps you can borrow or at least rent one of each and try them out for a day or two before buying.

I am sure that you'll eventually be happy with your choise. But take your time.

The Nikon F100 is made of an aluminum-magnesium alloy. Even the EOS 1v is a composite body. You need to hold the cameras.

The F100 has a very logical control layout. I was able to sort out an F100 with several features locked and everything miss set in a minute and a half without a manual or other assistance. The only thing I knew in advance was the focus mode selector as it was the same as my F4s. I set film speed, advance mode, exposure mode, metering mode, aperture, shutter, etc. I had control of the camera in one and a half minutes with no previous experience.

From what I�ve seen I could only be happy with a Canon EOS 1v. I would compare the cameras in hand. As far as optics go both companies make outstanding lens as well as consumer junk. Canon has a fuller line of AF lenses but Nikon has AF as well as MF lenses some of which are better for there intended purpose than AF(s) of either company.

There are some types of photography were AF is of little use or even less. AF can�t find and focus on eyes so candid photography with fast prime lenses requires a viewing screen that�s easy to focus manually with. I�ve found the Nikon F3HP and F5 equal, the F100 a little less. I�ve never compared Canon cameras this way. With macro photography AF is less than useless. compare the finders and focusing screens carefully side by side.

Any photographer worth their salt (yes, Roman soldiers were once paid in salt) can shoot either system and produces fine results.

My advice is compare the F100, F5 and EOS 1v and make a hands on choice between those.

If you're left-eyed, check to see if your nose hits or interferes with your use of the control pad on the Nikon. That's what it came down to when I made the choice.

As for the difference in feel between metal and plastic, that's up to you. I couldn't care less as long as the thing functions the way I want.

Old 'style' Nikkor Ais lenses will work on the F100, as will the newer AF designs. The F100 runs on four AA cells.

Old 'style' Canon FD lenses are a mis-fit to work on a EOS body (some adapters are around....) and you get the option of USM lenses or 'L' (for lots of $$$$s) USM lenses.

As noted above, you have to use both camera bodies a bit (rental?) and see which is best for your needs.

The technical differences between the two systems are subtle and mostly show up on the

high end equipment. The differences that you'll notice are mostly ergonomics related, and

that's something you have to decide on your own. When I chose, I was choosing between

an F80 and an Elan 7, and the difficulty of using the Elan 7 with my glasses made the

choice for me; Will, above, says shooting left eyed was the big deal for him. You need to

go to a store and pick them both up and play with them, perhaps shoot a test roll or

something.

Geoff,

Right before I purchased my F100, I had a Nikon N90S with two AF lenses (a 50 & an 85). Before laying out the money for the F100, I checked out the EOS 3.

The EOS is a great camera, but so is the F100. I ended up deciding on the Nikon because of the two lenses, which I loved (still do). I can't say I would have definitely bought the F100 if I didn't already have the lenses to influence me. Both cameras are very well built, and both have superb features. I think I recall the EOS having mirror lockup, though.

The point is don't let anyone else decide this for you. You really need to spend some time in a store and handle these cameras for yourself. If you already some glass for either of the cameras, then perhaps that is the way to go.

Good luck. Both cameras are winners. Sorry to be of NO help!!

Geoff,

you do not tell us what the manufacterer of your "old manual focus sytem" is: Canon (FD) or Nikon. If the latter, all your old lenses would fit onto the F 100. If not, it would not matter much, would it since Canon FD and EOS are not compatible anyway. And if Pentax or Minolta or Olympus or ..., then neither.

What you want is what you shall get. But first you, YOU, have to want it; nobody can tell you what you want; what silly questions you put out under your own good name ... ....

I went through the exact same decision four weeks ago!

As many others have said, both are great cameras and it comes down largely to ergonomics, and that's something you have to decide on your own after putting both of them through their paces.

I did this, and TO ME, the Nikon F100 had much better ergonomics than the Canon EOS 3, so that was my decision. It is an amazing camera, and I am extremely happy with my decision.

Good luck with your choice, and HAVE FUN!

<I>Why do I want a Nikon F 100 and not a Canon EOS 3?

</I> (or put another way)<I>Why do I want a Canon EOS 3 and not a Nikon F 100?

</I><P>

Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. (period end of story) Why you

might prefer one over the other has to do with how each feels in your hands when

you

are making photos. Some specific differences that might make a difference to you,

depending on who you are and what you will be doing. The Nikon viewfinder is

friendlier to eyeglass wearers. The Canon is designed to deal with a flash sync

voltage of up to 6 volts. The Nikon up to 250 volts. Canon makes three tilt shift

lenses: the 24mm, the 45mm and the 90mm. Nikon makes two shift lenses (28mm &

35mm and one tilt /shift lens - the 85mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor P.C. ) . Canon L

lenses are a little quieter. Nikon's TTL flash system works a bit better. <P>In truth all

of these differences for most photographers will make very little difference, so it is

down to personal preference.

<em>"What you want is what you shall get. But first you,

YOU, have to want it; nobody can tell you what you want; what

silly questions you put out under your own good name" --Frank

Uhlig</em><br>

<br>

When people ask a question like this they arent asking for

someone to tell them what to buy. What they want is ideas,

reasons why someone else bought what they did. Then they weigh

all the suggestions and reasons and make a decision (or so I

surmise). <br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Geoff,<br>

<br>

Since I started with Nikon back in 1970 I didnt really

consider the EOS line when I bought my first AF camera. I have

many MF lenses I wont give up. Some are better than AF lens

that either Nikon or Canon makes. Some obviously are not. I didnt

mention this or maybe I did but keeping manual focus didnt

sound like a consideration so I didnt recommend Nikon for

that reason.<br>

<br>

One thing I really dont care for with Canon cameras is the

variable shutter lag. If the meter is active the EOS 3 and EOS 1v

have a very respectable shutter lag of 55ms. If the meter is not

active its stretches all the way to 191ms. The F100 on the

other hand is 51ms either way. The F5 is 40ms and the F3 w/ MD-4

is 55ms. The FE2 with MD-12 slips to 100ms. Having a consistent

shutter lag is important to timing as is have a good feel to the

shutter release button. My source for shutter lag is...<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.lightningtrigger.com" target="_new"><u>http://www.lightningtrigger.com</u></a><br>

<br>

Im serious about going right to the top with Canon. Im

sure I could be quite happy with an EOS 1v. I would really miss

the 6x finders available for the F2, 3, 4 and 5 though.<br>

<br>

Another item to consider is batteries. The EOS 3 and EOS 1v run

on one 2CR5 6v Lithium Battery. With their booster packs they

both run on 8 AA batteries. Id have to have the booster

battery packs. I normally run Energizer L91 lithium or NH15 NiMH,

AA size batteries. The F100 runs on four AA batteries and the F5

on eight. It really simplifies things when you use as few types

of batteries as possible. Everything except my tag along Canon

Elph Jr.(s) run on AA or S-76 batteries, cameras, flash, hand

held meters, etc.<br>

<br>

Have fun with whatever you buy.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

The D100 w/ MB-100 (MB-D100) is listed with a lag of 60ms. Another spec I saw on a different site listed the lag at 120ms. I've only used a D100 without the MB-D100, and I'm inclined to agree with the 120ms spec. My question is: Does the MB-D100 (or any other power grip for that matter0 somehow decrease the lag time? I had an MB-17 for the N65, and it definitely didn't do squat.

Geoff,

Nearly two years ago, after playing with a friend's Canon with 200-400 IS lens I

realized what a diference there was in the focusing speed of this lens compared with

the Nikon's (not to mention the IS), so I decided to upgrade my system (F90x and

assorted lenses copmrising 28 to 500mm from Nikon and various brands) from Nikon

to Canon, based on Canon's AF speed, IS and 100% viewfinder coverage of the Canon

1v and the slightly lower price of he Canon lenses.

Once I had sold my old equipment, suddently changed my mind and went to Medium

Format (Mamiya 645 AFD). The change of format was a radical change, and wile the

645AFD is a AF camera, it was a large jump down technology wise, AF is slower than

the F90x, the exposure meter is not even close to the Nikon (which I think is better

than Canon) nor are the results of the flash as good as Nikon. It is only when I print

the pictures (20x24) that I realize that the change was worth.

Now, I do realize that the MF is not a good choice for Wildlife photography, therefore

eventually (ie. when I have money) I will get rid of my Mamiya 500mm f5.6 to carry a

Canon 1v and a 400 f2.8 IS with 1.4 and 2x converters as a second system for wildlife

photography, but keeping the MF for portraits, landscape, close-up and basically all

other type of photography. Why Canon?, mainly because that all their long lenses

have image stabilizer and are cheaper than Nikon's, although I don't like the ivory

colour of Canon lenses.

A few more points for you to consider since I made the switch from Canon (EOS RT & Elan) to Nikon (F100 & FM3a). Most of my EOS stuff was stolen and the insurance gave me the opportunity to try something different.

It's all about your preferences and goals, neither is perfect but either system is great.

My main reason for trying Nikon was to be able to have both manual and AF bodies that use the same lenses. I often find a manual body much nicer to use, especially when working with a tripod.

My opinions...

Some things I like about the Nikons: I can turn it on as I pick it up with one hand, the system feels more solid especially the lenses,

Some things I don't like about the Nikons: anti-clockwise turn to mount lens (everything else including Canon, bottle tops etc... does it the other way) - drives me nuts, mechanical lens links unreliable, MF/AF switch unreliable, solidity/weight/heft is not the same as reliability, the flash system is wonderful, AA batteries on F100, my lenses won't fit the EOS 1Ds

Some things I liked about the Canons: Large fully electronic lens mount - reliable and fast to use, light, mirror lock-up on cheaper bodies, USM everywhere, very reliable

Some things I didn't like about the Canons: plasticy feel to some lenses and bodies, on/off combined with mode setting, 2CR5 batteries

Dave.