this lens stopped in Canada and transferred to Solms? 2)Is there a

difference in quality of both lenses? 3)Is there a difference in used

prices for mint lenses of the two production series? 4) Is there any

other difference between both lenses except the weight? Thanks for

your answers.

Andre Bosmans

Andre,

1) I don´t remember exactly, but I think it was in 1998

2) I had both versions and there is no difference whatsoever, which in turn means that question 1 is of no relevance. Alledgedly there is a difference in weight, but that is most probably attributable to the erroneous weight figures in Leica brochures. On my scale both weighed the same

3) no idea

4) see 2

More importantly, it´s simply a great lens !!

Carsten

http://www.cabophoto.com/<div>007K05-16532384.jpg.da2dd0a6e5fdc6bcb0787ea258345aee.jpg</div>

There were two Canadian versions of this lens produced. The first batch of these lenses was made with a bayonet mounted lens hood (the same hood fit on the 50mm Noctilux at the time). After 3,223,300, the built-in hood version was produced. When production moved to Solms, the lens mount underwent a redesign (reducing weight by only 40 grams). The exact serial number marking the transition from Canada to Solms is apparently unrecorded, but this transition took place in 1993, which would place the number at about 3,610,xxx. The optical formula is identical in all versions of this lens.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Jon,

there are two things I don´t like about the 75/1.4 :

- focusing is relatively slow due to the stiffness of the focsing mechanism

- the diaphragm has 11 (or was it 10 ?) blades that have an odd shape, resulting in strange-looking OOF highlights in certain situations (see attached picture)

Carsten<div>007K8b-16536484.jpg.b80e90784f6c5c6c1ae3b4f8eed0f361.jpg</div>

Jon and Andre: You'll get lots of info and advice on this lens - older postings by doing a search and newer ones with the current post.

Question 3: I think the German lens will cost more than the Canadian. Most likely due to collectors and fondlers.

Before deciding on viewfinder obstruction, size or weight, try this lens before you buy. Results are fabulous and I've learned to live with the physical problems.

If you want to use this lens in close focus, 0.8 to 1.25 meter, make sure your rangefinder is properly adjusted. At f/1.4 or 2, dof just won't ask the error. Good luck and have as much enjoyment as I have had. -- Sid

I'm just getting used to mine, a late model Canada that was considered "Demo" at Adorama. I'm "relieved" to hear that others find the focus ring stiff. That's my only quibble to date. The results, as indicated by others are most promising.

This is a clear case of buy Canadian and decent shape...mine was at least $200 less than other slightly later German models, with of course, the same glass.

And, I read somewhere that this and other high-powered lenses (read: Noctilux) are STILL being made in Midland by whichever defense company now owns the joint. I know I read it, but the question is how old the source was. Any insights?

BTW, this was my first lens and my second was the 28 asph. I like the duo as this is my "people" camera.

Cheers,

Ray Hull