Recomendations Please 5x4 wideangle + movement

karl_petersson

Hi there.

I have recently got myself a old but nice Sinar Norma that I will

primarely use for architecture.

I have onle a 150mm so far and I really need a wider lens (houses

here in Iceland are very small) I am presently lending a 90 of a

friend and this is great but its on loand and I cant hug it forever.

So now please I would like to ask you people about recomending me

some wideangles they could be wider then the 90 if possible.

The bad news is that my economy is extremly restricted but I would

not mind to have to stop the aperature down a lot to get decent

quality.

My thought would be to go for old lenses maybe made for old view

cameras but is this a viable idea.

I must confess to my lack of knowledge about this form of lenses or

other lowbudget solution. I would love some Rodenstock/Nikon/Schnider

etc etc 75mm or likewhise that would allow a bit of movement but

money.........

Could you please aim me in the right direction and give me some advice

Karl

I don't know much about old lenses, so I can't help you there.

But you should keep in mind that as you get into shorter focal lengths, the image circles tend to be smaller and there is more problem with fall off of illumination. So even if your camera allows for extensive movements that close to the film plane, they may not do you much good. Fortunately, as the angle of view increases, you may not need the movements as much.

One thing you can do is to experiment with a viewing frame. Cut out a rectangular hole in some rigid cardboard. It should be the dimensions of a 4 x 5 frame which should be pretty close to 9.5 x 12 cm. If you hold that the focal length distance away from your eye, you can gauge what will be in the frame. One way to do this is to attach a cord to the frame and put knots at the distances of various focal lengths you want to try. You have to be careful about using this with short focal lengths because the frame will be so close to your eye that you need to study the view carefully and even then you won't get an exact idea. Usually it will underestimate what you will see on the gg with the same focal length lens, but it still will give you some idea of what to expect. Making a frame twice the size and holding it twice the focal length away from your eye might help a bit in that respect.

It is also helpful to make marks on the side of the frame to help you center it properly when framing a scene. In addition, you can put marks to either side of the centering marks to indicate the possible shifts your camera is capable of.

If you do some experimenting using a frame of this kind, you should pretty quickly get a good idea of what focal length lens you need.

an other vote for the 8/90 from nikon, going wider you will need a center filter to reduce fall off, more $$$. The best solution for you is the 72xl + center filter, but this is an expensive option !

Why the 8/90 from nikon ? Because it's the only 8/90 lens why an image circle as large as the 5,6/90 !

Do I really need a center filter even for a 75mm when stopped down, ok the stopping down should not make a change on the fall-of but how much fall-of are we really talking about?

The 90mm is a far as I can understand a necessity for this but is there anyone who could recomend any cheap/good ones. What about the old ones for the linhofs or other press cameras (maybe not the graphics, not much movement as far as I can understand) but what about quality and and movement on those and is it possible/recomended to put them on a Sinar plate and use them on a view camera.

press lens are very limited in term of coverage, maybe some simple angulon (later the model) can be used, but i don't think you will have sharp corners ! Don't forget that film and processing is expensive, if you are using a 4x5 with a bad lens, it will be better to use a medium format camera and crop to get a sort of rise...

For wide angle on the cheap....you can't beat a older 90mm F8.0

Schneider Super Angulon....the older angulon is quite lacking in

the image circle department.

I have seen older F8.0 SA go for under $275 on EBAY....but try to

get one that is mounted in a #0 shutter not a compur #00....there

are no repair parts for #00 shutters and remounting into anything

else is impossible. Plus it is harder to find #00 lensboards for a

sinar. The Nikon 90mm F8 is also a great choice....but does go

for more money....but I have seen them in the $375-$400 range.

The Sinar Norma Fresnel mounts under the groundglass....and

is not removeable without taking off the GG. Is yours old and

scratched??? If it is...you can find replacments at

www.glennview.com. I have an older style fresnel on my Sinar

5x7 that mounts under the glass....and it is bright as hell.