Canon 10D Vs Canon 1Ds - is it worth the $$$$ ?

leepix

Can anyone offer a brief comparison of these two beasts?

I have been shooting with the 10D for almost 2 months now and I am wondering if the big

brother is appriceably sharper-better- bla bla bla.

It is rather a huge jump in price for me.

Thanks

Lee McLaughlin<div>007KJB-16541184.thumb.jpg.3b96e1ce27fc6657c978abf40cd4beaa.jpg</div>

I can't tell you if it is worth the money, but I can say the 2 big differences is in the size of the sensor and the number of MP. The 1Ds has a full size sensor (same as a 35mm camera) 24x36 and it is an 11MP camera. I think the biggest advantage if you are not a pro and have the money, is the ability to take very wide angle pictures because of the sensor size whereas the 10D has a 1.6 ratio basically making it hard for any but the super wide lenses to take a wide angle picture. I would recommend searching the forums here, there are a lot of posts about both cameras.

I am a professional photographer, I have the 10D, I would prefer the 1Ds and yes I can afford it, aside from the wide angle issue the body is better and I think the shutter is more durable, this counts alot when you take as many photos as I do, 4 replacement shutters on my D30. The issue for me is price, a 10D is almost a throw away camera, honestly if it winds up at the bottom of the ocean, I won't cry. Remember you must buy L series lenses, the different is amazing.

<i>honestly if it winds up at the bottom of the ocean, I won't cry</i>

<p>

There is alot of truth in that statement.

<p>

In life, there is nothing certain. However, being emotionally (and hopefully financially) prepared for the "worst case" is a powerful thing. Placing a $1500 camera at risk (either in a "bad neighborhood" or "bob sledding") and knowing that if you lost the camera you would - and could - shrug it off is the key to sleeping at night.

<p>

Also makes life better when it comes time to upgrade.

Well, well,

I'm dealing with thoughts about the 1Ds as well, because...

... has to do with the L-lenses as well!

But first, forget about the balloons - it's a matter of getting used to. I've been in Vietnam for 3 weeks over X-mas, taking my 100-400IS abroad for the first time. And it was worth every drop of sweat it caused by carrying it around! No question. But...

This weekend I realized that my EOS bodies (500) has a crack in the body (where the neck strap is fixed to it), most probably due to the weight of the lens :-(, so a replacement will be necessary in order to have a second body again. Will it be digital? If yes, then of corse it's gonna have a full size sensor. Difficult to choose? No, there's just one at the moment, the 1 Ds. From the technical point of view excellent, but pricewise...