Composition in finder/print/framing. Any advice?

panya w.

As you know, the common paper size (e.g. 8x10 or 11x14) as well as

the regular frame size has different aspect ratio than the picture

you compose in the finder (2x3). I have a dilemma that I don't want

to pay extra money for the special size matt and/or frame for

pictures that I composed for the 24x36mm film.

I would like to hear your advices on how you take this into

consideration when you compose the picture that you are taken. Also

how do you decide what to crop out to fit the paper size. I was

thinking whether I should, for example, use the vertical bar of the

75mm frameline as the horizontal edge of my picture when I took it

with a 50mm lens. Please advice, thanks.

to some degree, you have to adapt the way you shoot. I agree with verticals, it is easy to plan on forgetting that extra sky. How much?, well, 8x10 is 2x2.5 inches ratio, so appr 0.5 out of 3 inches in the long diameter is cut, or 1/6. A purist would cut 1/12th from each end.

For practice, slap a yardstick-measured target up at some reasonable shooting distance (portraits or larger), and see where you are comfortable. It really is not a huge amount, just allow a little leeway.

That, incidentally, is why the "normal" lens for me, usually enlarging to 4x5, is arguably 38mm (the diagonal of 24x30mm), or my 35 summicron. But, that is another argument of rather limited value.

I guess I've been doing this too long but when I'm shooting for myself I seem to have no trouble composing for the full frame and I print with wide white borders on standard sized paper. When I'm shooting on assignment where 8x10 format prints are expected I seem to have no trouble keeping the subject pretty well composed in that area. The best advice is probably to just shoot more, and to carry a camera around and just do a lot of deliberate looking through the finder. As for matts, it's easy to learn to cut your own at a considerable savings over ready made ones, and they can have outside dimensions to fit standard frames.

<i> have a dilemma that I don't want to pay extra money for the special size matt and/or frame for pictures that I composed for the 24x36mm film</i><p>

You can get custom cut mats at ridiculously low prices if you look. I use <a href="http://www.matshop.com/wholesale/matpricing.html">this place. </a> You can get frames that you have to assemble, usually at very good prices, from a variety of sources. I use <a href="http://www.stu-artsupplies.com/">this place</a> for frames. The only thing left is the glass, which you can buy in bulk and cut yourself (look for a local shop, as the shipping is too much for mail order) or get glass custom-cut at local places. I end up with frames that are significantly less than ready-mades with better quality, and a choice of mats and frames much broader than the ready-mades.

I never considered cost a big deal on this issue. When I was doing my own print-work, I would get 11x14 paper and trim the top and bottom for full frame pix. When I send out for color enlargements, I ask for 8x12 prints. However, I rarely, if ever, worry about this any more because there is almost always something I want to crop out anyway. When I want full-frame prints I get full frame prints. So what if it means getting an odd size.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I'm surprised to learn that so many Leica users crop their prints - I thought we were obliged to print full-frame.

It takes only a few mistakes to learn to use a Logan Compact mat cutter to make your own mats. You might want to start with 2-ply Westminster board precut to standard sizes until you get the hang of it. Then switch to 4-ply. Light Impressions is a reliable place to buy both a cutter & archival matting supplies.

Light Impressions is the most expensive place to buy. I know some people feel better paying top dollar for something available less expensively elsewhere, but for me, I have found everything I've wanted from the Light Impressions catalog at a lower price elsewhere.

The place I referenced above for mat board sells it at a price almost the same as the mat board costs in raw form. It's computer cut, so the cuts are exact. Cutting large mats requires a fair amount of room, and it takes some practice to get it right. The tools aren't very expensive, but I've seen a lot of bad home-cut mats (not yours, Brad.)