seeking to upgrade to enter the professional market. I guess I need

to make the leap to 4x5in format. What equipment would you

recommend for a first time large format user? Size/weight is

important, as I travel a great deal. Could I get away with just a

medium format, or do architectural photo libraries really only

prefer large format?

Your help would be hugely appreciated.

Edward,

to be honest with you, you'd be better advised to go digital. It would seem that LF is only expected now at the very top end of the market.

If you do decide to take the plunge, I'd advise a mono-rail, as they tend to offer more movements than a field camera. You will, of course, allso need to invest in Wide Angle lenses.

I would stongly advise you to examine the market you intent to enter and see if you can find a friendly pro (probablu one who isn't in your proposed territory) and ask if you could act as an assistant for a while - you'll learn more that way than any other.

Get the book "Photographing Buildings Inside and Out" by Norman McGrath. It's a comprehensivelook at the field by an acknowledged master (and a former teacher of mine). Despite the post above, most architectural photography is still done with a view camera and film. A monorail camera will be the most useful, as architecture often requires lots of movements.

I used (and still use) a PC lens in 35 mm, then got into LF with a monorail with architecture as one of my primary goals and I really recommend getting a view camera, like the poster above noted. There is simply no comparison with 35 mm and LF, in part due to neg size, in part due to the flexibility afforded by the movements.

Of course, LF does not necessarily replace 35 mm, since the latter has considerable mobility and costs/picture are low. An MF view camera might be an idea if you don't want to go up to 4x5", but in practice I think you should have the capability (and skill!) to use 4x5" if you're thinking about the professional market.

What about Calumet's view camera converter for 35mm cameras. A little

pricey from what I remember tho.

You'll want something with a bag bellows and a wide lens 90mm or under.

Arca Swiss are nice.

Btw, there is an interesting thread over in the MF forum on commercial

photography; You might want to read it first.